Army Leadership Tabs with Rank Insignia

hardstripe

I purchased a set of Army chevrons embroidered on Leadership tabs or loops at the PX within the last two years. I have seen these green felt leadership tabs worn without insignia, or with a standard DUI attached. I've also seen leadership tabs with DUIs embroidered DUIs directly on the tabs.

My question to all, especially to members currently serving, were these leadership tabs actually ever worn?

post-60620-0-84355400-1388069227.jpg

In my experience, yes they were worn but in my infantry unit we didn't wear them with the rank just the DUI. EXCEPT for the unit ball, then you wore the rank ones if at all.

Looks like rank for the woodland gortex jacket. They make them in ACU and Multicam now. An E2 would be very unlikely in a position to wear leadership tabs as well as a PFC. Most leaders will be SPC and up. The jacket has a small flap in the center of the chest to slide rank on and snap close. You cannot sew rank or pin it on otherwise it would not be water resistant.

I have never seen rank leadership tabs worn, only blank ones when in Class A dress under the DUI. Class A formal wear was no leadership tabs or DUI except unit affiliation.

yeah you nailed it TRR, I was looking at it from the class A point of view. not sure if they changed that with the blues, and we did not wear them on goretex or in the field (unit SOP was sew on) but I know that can vary to other SOP.

Yep, GORETEX leader insignia, for sure. I've never seen them for ranks as low as the ones in the original post, though.

I was given one to wear as a Platoon LDR around 2000, and I couldn't bring myself to put one on. I might still have it somewhere around here...

As others have said, these were intended for the Goretex (ECWCS) parka. Like most things, it was dependent on the CSM whether you used them or not. When I was a PL our BN CSM insisted on them for everyone in a leadership position. My CDR and fellow LTs all used them, as no matter your feelings on them its not the kind of thing to fight with a Sergeant Major over. Then all of a sudden when we got a new BN CSM, they fell out of favor and were no longer used in our BN, and they just kinda faded away. So it goes.