My Christmas Present!

36-tex

I was able to win this small collection of cloth chevrons a couple weeks back. Originally the plan was to keep it together, but upon arrival it was obvious that would not be wise. They were stitched onto a piece of burlap which was coming apart. As the burlap frayed, the thread stitched to the chevrons and burlap was pulling the felt/wool chevrons. I carefully removed each piece. Included in the purchase and unknown to me was the large amount of Arizona dust/sand that coated the backs of each chevron.

post-98-0-59156000-1387922071.jpg

WOW! I can't stop drooling. What a nice collection of old chevrons. You were smart to seperate them from the burlap backing. Thanks for sharing these.

Excellent rank insignia. Removing these can be challenging, as similar examples I have seen all seem to be sewn on with something like 50 billion stitches to the inch. It seems that Bannerman's bought up huge stocks of obsolete chevrons from the Government way back when, and in order to sell more of them, made up these "display" items. (Maybe we'll soon see that with "Liberty Loan" patches!)

The use of burlap as a base was a poor choice, but back when these were picked up and sewn on I am sure they did not cost much. Funny how "Bannerman's" can be a good and bad title. I personally have no problem with Bannerman items as they were buying original government surplus (as Kurt notes above). Sometimes I hear people use the term Bannerman almost like the item is no good. :)

Kurt, the removal was not bad just a little time consuming. You do not want to rush this as the felt (wool) can rip easily. If I can recoup my purchase pric with the doubles I will be very happy.