Flight jacket care

sundance

I have an AN-J-3A jacket I picked up a year or so ago. It's in pretty good shape and I'd like to keep it that way. I know I shouldn't keep it on a hanger for instance, at least not on a cheap wire one. I believe I've read posts where people mention conditioning the leather. Is that something I should do? The leather seems to be in good condition. I know that in other subforums people often say that with leather, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'd appreciate any advice you folks care to offer. Thanks. Also, it doesn't have anything painted on it so that's not a concern.

I would never consider a hanger! I looked for some time to find a correct size suit form for mine. As far as conditioning, some folks say no others yes. Personally I have not use anything. I have heard that Connely's Hide food is the best. If you do, read instructions very carefully. Also, use the very minimum. Ron

post-9148-0-65460200-1387853163.jpg

This has been discussed many times before and there are always members who try to convince you to use their favorite brand, but the honest truth it, doing nothing is the best option, the one that museums embrace. To quote a member's post, conditioner "creates the illusion of health while causing irreparable DAMAGE to the artifact"

Check out this one of many threads: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/176185-conditioner-for-leather-flight-jackets/

I agree with Bob...this has been discussed at length before. However, I will share just one recent experience though...I was at the house of a former Navy pilot doing research for my book and the family pulled out his flight jacket for me to photograph. It had not been touched....ever. No leather preservative, no special sauce, nothing...just left in the closet on a hanger at the veteran's house in the Pacific Northwest. And you know...it was probably the most beautiful jacket I've ever seen, with perfect, soft leather. I wouldn't have hesitated to wear it out in a heartbeat (other than that the original wearer had been a munchkin...but whatever...) Anyway...just one story about how doing nothing is sometimes better than going nuts in the preservation world.

Dave

It's always the $64,000 question...whether to...or not! At the end of the day it depends on how well the leather has been stored these past 70 years or how much wear 'n' tear it received during its service life. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum. I have a 1942 dated used B3 shearling flight jacket, similar to the one posted above. Shearling was sprayed with a poly-acrylate compound which both dyed and sealed it. However, with the passage of time it is prone to cracking/crazing/flaking. So I applied a little leather treatment to the worst affected areas and was pleased with the resulting improved appearance. I store it flat in a linen bag so it can breathe. By the same token, I have a 1950s USN goatskin G1 which looks like it was made last week and needs no care whatsoever. It too is stored flat. So, personally, I'd use your discretion based on your own assessment of the individual item(s) because you will undoubtedly get conflicting advice in response to your initial question!

• 2 weeks later...

I would never consider a hanger! I looked for some time to find a correct size suit form for mine. As far as conditioning, some folks say no others yes. Personally I have not use anything. I have heard that Connely's Hide food is the best. If you do, read instructions very carefully. Also, use the very minimum. Ron

I am going to be listing the jackets and the others items also. Still deciding how to write the listing up. May be better to take to tehshow in Franklin TN. (TMCA)