Adjusting an AN-6530

aviationphotog

aviationphotog

Hey guys! Earlier this year I managed to pick up a pretty nice pair of AN-6530 goggles. I've been meaning to post about this on here, but I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the goggles to where they normally on in the first slot on the nose bridge. It's on the third slot right now, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the pin inside the third slot out so I can move it over to the first one. Also, I'm confused to the back pads of the goggles, as it seems if I move it to the first slot it'll really have this big fold in the nose area. Any ideas? Also, anyone have any good methods to clean up the rust spots?

Photos:
MilitaryCollection-AN6530-1102.jpg

MilitaryCollection-AN6530-1099.jpg

MilitaryCollection-AN6530-1099.jpg

My two cents... Leave them alone.

I know it is not what you are wanting to hear but I believe that moving the bridge pin may (as you have noted) cause some forceful bends to the cushion that may result in a split if forced to hard. As for the rust I would leave alone as is as well. They are a plated metal, so if you do any sanding of surface prep you will go down to the original metal and will show the plating around it.

That all said if you are determined to see if it works. Screw out the bridge screw pin (gently as it my have corroded into place over time), it may need a little help by pushing it up from the bottom. This should separate the two sides of the frame. You can then repeat the process in reverse to reassemble. Again watch the cushion as not to apply too much pressure as the old rubber can split easily if it has any dry rot.

aviationphotog

Thanks for the replies, I'm debating as I would like to return it to the original slot... but I completely understand what you're saying. The issue is I can't get that pin out, so that alone might be the reason it'll never get changed. Is this an earlier model AN6530?

• 4 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the brazed-on vents were earlier and the stamped vents were the later version.

Dave

No Dave , the brazed vents type were produced by American Optical , and the elongated formed vents are Chas Fischer Corp

LB