Operation Dragoon and the Champagne Campaign

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pvt Vance L. Clutter E Company, 143rd Infantry, 36th Division - His leggings were found in a farm that was most likely an Aid Station in the village of Marsanne, in the vicinity of Montelimar. Task Force Butler has set its HQ there for a while.

26061_10.jpg

butler10.jpg

21010.jpg

121010.jpg

31010.jpg

41010.jpg

61010.jpg

91010.jpg

clutte10.jpg

51010.jpg

Gilles,

Many thanks for locating this place ; I have been wandering for years where this photography was taken.

It's the nuclear plant of Cruas in the distance near La Coucourde.

Dan.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest and your participation. Thank you also for the picture. I am also interested in the 199th in Vietnam and

we have a common 199th Friend in France :)

Your grandfather's unit is one of those fascinating, unique and totally overlooked outfits that took part in Operation Dragoon.

If you look at Dragoons' order of battle, there are so many small and separate units that going through the list makes one's head spin.

Thanks also for telling about your Grandfather's mood at Montelimar, first hand accounts like this are of great interest.

I wrote an article about a MIA 36th soldier during that battle, a very sad story.

Here's a picture I took a couple of years ago in Montelimar.

767px-10.jpg

dsc00914.jpg

Always looking for 29th & 36th infantry divisions items (uniforms, medals, groupings, papers, maps, books...)

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

fantastic thread, just love the then & now shots. This campaign must be a due an After The Battle volume soon.

Thank you Paul. I'm honored to have you participate to this post. I have been following you guys through

your website for some time. I must have read all the content and the stories at least 4 times.

I would like to come and see you at at the War and Peace show some day. I really admire what you do.

First Special Service Force - Port Cros Island, Southern France, Aug 1944.

25088110.jpg

24206710.jpg