Operation Dragoon and the Champagne Campaign

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italian made bracelet that once belonged to PFC Michael Yergovich, G/143, 36th Division, KIA 07.12.44.

I bought it from his granddaughter. I proposed to pay for it and offered her to keep it. I insisted and told her what

a great hero her Grandad was, the 36th Div, etc. She was not interested so it is now in my collection.

It was part of his personal items that were sent back to the Family. He was certainly wearing it when he was KIA which puts

me in an uncomfortable situation and I find it rather spooky. It should belong to the family. Anyways, it is cherished and that's

the least I can do for the memory of PFC Michael Yergovich, G/143 of the fighting 36th - an American Hero.

dsc00910.jpg

dsc00911.jpg

dsc00912.jpg

dsc00913.jpg

yergov10.jpg

Hi Dan,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks. There must be some markings in the Ike jacket. I'll have a look.

My Grandfather fought during WW2 and suffered (which I may could now call PTSD) until his nineties when he passed away.

I have 2 footlockers with all his stuff - which makes me kind of uncomfortable with ID'd researched items.

It may sound very strange to many collectors but as long as the item is original and in my center of interest, I am happy with it.

I'll be happy to see a name on a roster but that's about it.

However, I have made extensive researches for friends with battlefield items found in France with amazing results.

dsc08913.jpg

dsc08914.jpg

dsc08915.jpg

dsc08916.jpg

Excellent thread! Thank you for your time and effort in posting. My grandfather came ashore on D-Day at St. Tropez with the 439th Signal Battalion, which provided ground communications between the 64th Fighter Wing and forward units of the 45th, 36th, 3rd ID, etc., as they came up through Southern France.

Despite being a veteran of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, and Anzio, he got pretty rattled once they went through Montelimar, France, and saw what was left of the Germans on the road that got caught there after the air and artillery strikes.

post-4009-0-69783300-1455064757.jpg

Anyway, here is a picture of Roger Beach, St. Tropez shortly after the initial landings there.

Always looking for 199th Infantry Brigade "Redcatcher" Items.

post-4009-0-18192300-1380579315.jpg

Excellent thread! Thank you for your time and effort in posting. My grandfather came ashore on D-Day at St. Tropez with the 439th Signal Battalion, which provided ground communications between the 64th Fighter Wing and forward units of the 45th, 36th, 3rd ID, etc., as they came up through Southern France.

Despite being a veteran of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, and Anzio, he got pretty rattled once they went through Montelimar, France, and saw what was left of the Germans on the road that got caught there after the air and artillery strikes.

attachicon.gif1024x1024-1167682.jpg

Anyway, here is a picture of Roger Beach, St. Tropez shortly after the initial landings there.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest and your participation. Thank you also for the picture. I am also interested in the 199th in Vietnam and

we have a common 199th Friend in France :)

Your grandfather's unit is one of those fascinating, unique and totally overlooked outfits that took part in Operation Dragoon.

If you look at Dragoons' order of battle, there are so many small and separate units that going through the list makes one's head spin.

Thanks also for telling about your Grandfather's mood at Montelimar, first hand accounts like this are of great interest.

I wrote an article about a MIA 36th soldier during that battle, a very sad story.

Here's a picture I took a couple of years ago in Montelimar.

767px-10.jpg

dsc00914.jpg

This helmet was found in a farm in a little village east of Montelimar, 1st Bn 141st Infantry, 36th Division area.
The helmet was recovered by the farmer after the soldier was KIA in his field right in front of the farmhouse.

There's a name in the liner but it is barely readable. Another helmet I know of that was also recovered on 1/141 territory

also has that covered name tape sized mark on the front.

It has the typical Italy/Southern France repaint, comes directly from the battlefield and it's one of my favorite helmets.

dsc00710.jpg

dsc00711.jpg

dsc00712.jpg

dsc00713.jpg

dsc00714.jpg

My dear Friend Andrew Ginter, A Company 'Can Do' 15th Infantry, 3rd Division, he passed away in the 90's and he is my favorite Hero Veteran Friend.

Living on the edge, in a frontline rifle Company from Italy to the Vosges where he was wounded again - a true Dogface Soldier. In my heart for ever. Picture taken in Cavalaire sur Mer, Southern France, 1994.

He landed in Southern France the day of his 20th birthday, 15th Aug 1944. He was still recovering and struggling from wounds suffered in Italy but he insisted to be part of the invasion.

The DUI on the left is a gift from him.

dsc07010.jpg

dsc08917.jpg

dsc08918.jpg