dogface44

Operation Dragoon and the Champagne Campaign

Couple of questions...Is the writing on the box original and was the object on the right in the last photo used for towline attachment? Pieces like these make for great, original displays! Looks great!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Hi,

I believe the grenade box is British and yes the markings are original I found it in an old house smack in the middle of the DZs -

never cleaned it - still has old spider webs on it!

The British 2d Independent Parachute Brigade Group was part of the Task Force and many British Airborne relics have

been recovered in that area. Fascinating...

Oh I forgot about the towline attachment hook. It was given to me by a farmer

who had recovered it from a glider. It is either from a Waco or a Horsa.

Unfortunately I am not that technical about glider parts.

Neat items! A friend was in the 517th (BAR gunner) and dropped into So. France and made it all the way to Bastogne where he got blown off a tank destroyer manning a .50cal. He survived but almost lost his leg. Boy, the stories he would tell me. Thanks for sharing!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Interesting. I also know a 517th vet who was blown from a TD in Belgium. He was in Co A but he wasn't a BAR gunner.

My historical interest leads me to be constantly on the road to visit places - through the years I was able to compile most

of the AAR's of the units involved in Southern France so it's a never ending story. There's always something to discover or a hill or a village to see.

Here's a picture taken with a friend in the vicinity of Montelimar during one of our field trips. The 36th Div has always been very special to me.

19437310.jpg

dsc00910.jpg

dsc01310.jpg

dsc01311.jpg

Incredible collection! You European collectors collections never stop amazing me.

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

Really nice collection!

As ''Trailblazers'' let us blaze a trail that will go down in the annals of history!

Always looking for WW2 70th ID items!

Really nice collection!

Thank you. I also have a special interest for the 70th. I have a huge collection of the Trailblazer magazine edited by the 70th Div Association as well as some period paperwork, patches, and a cool combat shirt with all patches and overseas bars. If I have time one day, I will take pictures of my 70th stuff. The 70th is one of my favorite WW2 units.

Here is a helmet we found in 1994 in Phillipsbourg, France - 70th Division territory. It was just lying there on the ground, hence the condition.

dsc03410.jpg

dsc03411.jpg

Nice to hear! The 70th Div deserves a lot more attention!

As ''Trailblazers'' let us blaze a trail that will go down in the annals of history!

Always looking for WW2 70th ID items!

Relics like that make for an incredibly powerful display, especially accompanied with related "then and now" photos like those. I was fortunate enough to make it over to Southern France for the 70th anniversary of Dragoon. There was a very moving memorial at the location of your last photo, the Rhone American Cemetery in Draguignan. It was complete with a US Navy band, reenactors (including myself), veterans and wreath laying. To top it off the weather couldn't have been better!

Thanks for your comments. All this great episode of US Army history has been/is completely overlooked.

The units are unique e.g 3rd Div, 509th PIB, FSSF, For a collector, the details of the uniforms and equipments

are particularly interesting.

dsc01910.jpg

dsc01911.jpg