Has anyone seen this before? Berlin Airlift Ring

Medalman90

This was given to me many years ago by my grandfather. Although not originally his, He did love this ring, he wore it everyday to work. This is why there is damage to the onyx. The ring itself is made of sterling and the plane is 10K. Inside the band is an inscription "We can fly anything. Anytime, anywhere." Following is what looks to be a serial number: 0165RGS.

Does anyone know if these were handed out, or just private purchase?

55F1B119-AF32-4F17-8310-6985B02FD36F_zps

CAEC2337-556F-4B9E-BAC6-FFA733B40AE7_zps

0C3B5EC1-3632-448E-989D-01214AD074E6_zps

7BAB9A31-EB29-4D85-826B-D9382BA27593_zps

I tried google search and a forum search earlier this evening for "sterling Berlin Airlift Ring" with no results. I'm more of a awards and decorations kind of collector and not to savy on cerimonial items.

"We can fly anything. Anytime, anywhere." was the motto of the Berlin Airlift.

The aircraft looks to be a Douglas C-54 Skymaster. Although built during WWII they really came into their own during the 1948 Berlin Airlift, with three times the cargo capacity of a C-47. The C-54's were recalled world wide from their assignments with the USAF and USN to fly round the clock missions to keep Berlin supplied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-54

If you want to know more about what your grandfather went through, you might enjoy the book:

Daring Young Men: The Heroism and Triumph of The Berlin Airlift-June 1948-May 1949

http://www.amazon.com/Daring-Young-Men-Airlift-June-1948-May/dp/B0048ELD78/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1387773162&sr=1-2

Berlin Air Lift items are not often seen.

The ring looks like it has American marks in it.

It could just be a souvenir that was made just like someone would wear a ring with their unit emblazoned on it.

Very period looking ring with the black onyx and just the general style of the mounting.

The engraving makes it that much better.

Gwb123. Thank you for all the reference material and info on the hardware used! I know very little on the Berlin Airlift. I just know that the Marshal Plan helped rebuild war torn Europe. My grandfather was discharged from the Air Corps long before the airlift occurred. He was lucky and was stationed in England selling war bonds during the war. I am not sure how he came across the ring. The book is great place to learn personal accounts of the men that took part in this operation.

Manayunkman, thank you for your critique on the ring and collectors perspective! As stated above, he did have a connection to the ring. Maybe a dear friends or relative. He used to work in construction and is a hazardous environment for jewelry. My uncle retired from the Army a few years ago now and he has a ring portraying that he was a dentist. I figure it may be along those same lines?

I wish I knew more and it's my hope that you will find out more.

When you do please let us know.

Your welcome

Peter

• 8 years later...

I have my fathers ring. It is in the original ring box and I also have the Certificate of Guarantee. The number inside the ring I believe is a serial number. The number in the ring is the same as the number on the certificate. The initials RGS stands for Registered Gold & Silver Jewelry of Hamburg and Frankfurt. image.jpg.20ae5ab31bceab05df5c3c684e610932.jpg

• 2 months later...

I used to have one! The serial number was 0108. When I was got the ring the stone was missing, I spent  months trying to research its' origins (pre-internet) to not avail. I eventually brought it to a jeweler and selected a plain black onyx put in, not even knowing what had been there. Sadly it was stolen from me along with all my other jewelry in 1985/86.

Until yesterday I had not thought of that ring in years when it suddenly popped into my head and in less than 15 minutes I found this piece. I was wondering if anyone new more of the history of these rings. Like were they pilot only issue or a commemorative? Could there be a registry of to whom they were sold?

According to the certificate, there was supposed to be a list available to the people that bought the ring that included everyone else who had bought the ring. I did not find this in my father’s papers, so I’m assuming he never got it. And no, I believe it was available to any airman that was over there. My father was a mechanic in the Air Force. 

• 7 months later...

I appreciate the responses everyone!

Tira, the ring certificate provides excellent insight about the ring, thank you for sharing that with us. Can you show us it’s original ring box too?