US Army JROTC Insignia

Salvage Sailor

VolunteerArmoury

This insignia wasn't adopted till the late 70s or early 80s. I can't recall specifics nor readily found on TIOH website.

The insignia was definitely used in the mid-1970's as I was a JROTC cadet in Indianapolis beginning in 1974 and it was in widespread use. One still saw the round JROTC SSI, but they were scarce then..

• 1 month later...

The insignia was definitely used in the mid-1970's as I was a JROTC cadet in Indianapolis beginning in 1974 and it was in widespread use. One still saw the round JROTC SSI, but they were scarce then..

A round JROTC patch? Are we talking about this one?

post-8076-0-18661400-1393088600.gif

Salvage Sailor

The JROTC sticker in the first post belonged to my brother who was XO of the unit in his senior year (1971).

He was in our high school unit from September 1968 to June 1971

I believe he wore the round ROTC SSI on his dress green uniform.

VolunteerArmoury

The current JROTC SSI was approved by TIOH in the 1970s. The round ROTC SSI had been around since the 50s if I recall correctly. The first version had an OD border then an AG border was adopted when the cadets received AG uniforms probably in the early 60s then replaced them with the current SSI. A subdued version was adopted for BDUs. We wore the full color one on the OD greens in the early 90s then the full color on BDUs followed by finally subdued ones. Currently there is a subdued one in sage for the ACUs.