Unusual Glider Wings: Officers Equipment Company in Madison, NJ

BEAST

Here is another example of "G" on an observer wing that was sold on eBay in 2007. According to the seller, these appear to have been made by GEMSCO. Below the photos is the description form the auction. Please note that I am not showing the information below as documentation as we all know that eBay should never be considered a primary source!

BTW, did any member here buy the pair of "G" on observer wings sold by AGM earlier this month? I believe that according to the description, they were made by AMCRAFT.

post-203-0-71241800-1390743884.jpg

post-203-0-25572700-1390743884.jpg

"Offered is a 3 inch, pinback, silver plated AAF Glider Pilot wing. The wing is not hallmarked, but it is a GEMSCO 1st style glass graduation wing in which the G has been applied to an observer wing. When the Gov't regulations were approved for issuance of a Glider Pilot wing, several companies, such as Gemsco, applied the G over the observer wing in order to get the wings to the first graduating classes. Later on, the G was appied to the standard pilots wing. This is a rare variation as most of these wings were destroyed when the standard wings began to be issued. This is the only GEMSCO style Glider Pilot wing with the G on the observer wing that I have ever seen. The wing is in excellent condition and guaranteed to be an original WWII wing. Shipping with insurance is a flat $5.00. Please note that I ship only on the Saturday after payment has been confirmed."

you know... the more I look at the back of your wings, the more the flashing/edges look just like my Amcraft pilot wings.

maybe a clue? anyone have a pic of an Amcraft observer wing? Were the regular observer wings marked?

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...