Unusual Glider Wings: Officers Equipment Company in Madison, NJ

BEAST

I bought these last week and was able to take some detailed photos today. I have looked through catalogs like S&S, imperial imports, etc., trying to find fakes made like these. All of the fakes that I have seen tend to be in the standard pattern. The only originals that are even close to these have been theater made Engineer wings with an "E" applied to an observer's wing.

Basically I'm stumped. They do have weight to them weighing in at 17.01grams

Here are the photos from the auction:

post-203-0-46863700-1387748260.jpg

post-203-0-38477800-1387748263.jpg

There was a pair of liaison pilots wings sold by the same dealer that were the same pattern. If a member bought those, I hope you will post them!

These are tough to call... I want then to be right but something seems off to me. The even patina of this wing and the other you did not win strikes me as odd. That and the fact the seller happen to have two letter wings so perfectly matched.

It's just my gut... and honestly I have not had the time to dig in to this. I hope some of the the folks here will be able to weigh in on this for you.

Cheers

These are tough to call... I want then to be right but something seems off to me. The even patina of this wing and the other you did not win strikes me as odd. That and the fact the seller happen to have two letter wings so perfectly matched.

It's just my gut... and honestly I have not had the time to dig in to this. I hope some of the the folks here will be able to weigh in on this for you.

Cheers

John,

Thank you for your input! I still not sure what to think about these. As I mentioned in my other post, the seller sells mostly estate sale/flea market type of items. This is why I thought that maybe these came from one of the older companies that sold reproductions, but I haven't found a similar example in any of my old catalogs.

I'm hoping the person who purchased the Liaison wings will post them here in order for us to compare them. In the meantime, here is another close-up of the wing.

post-203-0-03661900-1387800626.jpg

Patchcollector

I'm no expert by any means,but my thought is if no one has seen this pattern in the last 70 years or so,they are either exceedingly rare,or recently made.

Beast,

Contact the seller and see if he/she will pass you contact info to the other buyer. I have had some success with this in the past.

Can you check how are the fittings attached under magnification.

Cheers

Beast,

Contact the seller and see if he/she will pass you contact info to the other buyer. I have had some success with this in the past.

Can you check how are the fittings attached under magnification.

Cheers

Good idea John. I'll check with the seller and see if she can put me into contact with the other buyer.

I'm not sure what I am looking for with the fittings. They seem to be neatly attached, soldered I believe. Here are a couple of close-ups. If I should be looking for something else, let me know.

post-203-0-04900500-1387819221.jpg

post-203-0-49764000-1387819220.jpg

I'm no expert by any means,but my thought is if no one has seen this pattern in the last 70 years or so,they are either exceedingly rare,or recently made.

Patchcollector, I would think that also. A photo of these being worn would be very handy right now. I've googled various terms trying to find a site selling these and haven't found it yet.

BROBS those are marks typical of a die struck wing. As for this being a cast wing I do not see the typical signs of that.

I hope some other wingnuts will chime in.

Cheers

BROBS those are marks typical of a die struck wing. As for this being a cast wing I do not see the typical signs of that.

I hope some other wingnuts will chime in.

Cheers

John,

I know I have seen die struck with these grinding marks... but never quite so thick?

It almost looks like where some "flashing" went out over a casting mold.

Perhaps they are good? I am not experienced with wings of this type. (let's be honest... with any wing :) )

-Brian

Brian,

I think the photo has something to do with how think they appear. As for being die struck that does not guarantee period wings just the process by which they have been produced.

I think beast alluded to the post war produced wings by S&S which produced lots of wings for there catalog.

Cheers

Beast I was looking at one of the photos and noticed what appears to be brass showing through in the shoulder area on the right side. Is this what it appears to you under close inspection?

Additionally if possible can you post a macro shot in nature light of the should area?

Cheers

John

Beast I was looking at one of the photos and noticed what appears to be brass showing through in the shoulder area on the right side. Is this what it appears to you under close inspection?

Additionally if possible can you post a macro shot in nature light of the should area?

Cheers

John

John,

I looked at the shoulder area using a magnifying glass and don't see brass. But I will look at them under natural light and get a few more photos. I also measured their length and wing tip to wing tip they are just over 3" so none of the shrinkage associated with a casting.

Beast,

Here is a photo to consider - The top wing as you will see is a solid back version marked sterling. The second wing is like yours except the patina, the small pools of solder the fitting sit in and the finer finishing. Finally there is a test strike of the pattern.

I consider these to be good wings but I am open to any information to any new information.

Cheers

post-227-0-41029700-1387848999.jpg

Patchcollector

John,I think that you are on to something.That center wing looks very similar to Beasts.Perhaps the maker was experimenting with different designations,and produced a few of the Glider ones.It may even be a prototype.

John,I think that you are on to something.That center wing looks very similar to Beasts.Perhaps the maker was experimenting with different designations,and produced a few of the Glider ones.It may even be a prototype.

IF REAL, here's my theory on why these were made. Both gliders and observation aircraft could be piloted by enlistedmen. Both the liaison and glider pilot's wings that I have posted mimic the aircrew wing as opposed to the traditional pilot's wing. Maybe initial guidance on the pattern of the wings was not clear to all of the manufactures.

Once again, just a SWAG and not all that scientific.

Maybe some other folks can post wings built from the same pattern for other wings i.e. AG...

I glad I can help a little and maybe spark some additional thought on this topic.

Cheers

P.S. Take a look Bob's site start with the AG wings and see if ya see something in the ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

John

John,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your request. Here are two photos taken of the shoulder area that shows the most wear. Both taken in natural light. Looking at them in hand, I don't see the brass.

post-203-0-69584000-1388866480.jpegpost-203-0-37312500-1388866489.jpg