Flak Bait by Devon Francis

Championhilz

I made a nice score today at the local antique shop - a 1948 First Edition of "Flak Bait" by Devon Francis, which chronicles the history of the Martin Marauder in the European Theater during World War II. The book is in good condition and has a ton of great illustrations of the Marauder in action. Best of all, the book is autographed by Glen L. Martin, founder of the company that built the Marauder. I paid all of $3.50 for the book, and I know I got my money's worth - I am really looking forward to reading it.

post-274-1169345837.jpg

post-274-1169345879.jpg

post-274-1169345938.jpg

'Nice score' is an understatement! The book alone is a sweet deal but with the signature... you certainly got your money's worth.

For anyone interested in learning more about 'Flak Bait', take a looksee at Flak Bait.com.

Here's a couple photos from B-26 Marauder.com. I would have posted a link to the specific page, but most of the site is currently down due to a hacker attack. If anyone wants the full-size images, just give a hollar.

Flak_Bait_2b.jpg

Flak_Bait_1b.jpg

And a couple more...

FlakBait4-Ship.jpg

Joseph J. Merhar, Jr photo via AFHRA via Project 914 Archives

FlakBait001b.jpg

Don Miller collection via Project 914 Archives

Be sure to let us know how the book was when you get through with it!

Fade to Black...

I saw "Flak Bait"s forward fuselage in the National Air & Space Museum in August 1988. I hope they have restored the complate airplane & have it on display in the new facility in Maryland. Can anyone add to this?

I saw "Flak Bait"s forward fuselage in the National Air & Space Museum in August 1988. I hope they have restored the complate airplane & have it on display in the new facility in Maryland. Can anyone add to this?

I believe that is the plan... to move it to Hazy's House. However it's still on display in downtown DC last I heard, which was in the past couple of months.

I'll see if I can scare up some updated info, and also post a few images...

Fade to Black...

Alrighty, I have no concrete info as to when it might go to the Udvar-Hazy location but 'Flak-Bait' is indeed slated to be displayed there, and as a complete aircraft.

Now, some images for those who have never seen the display at the mall in Washington D.C. Like the images above, these came from a site which is currently in chaos, and the page in question is no longer there. Luckily I grab everything I see when I see it!

flakbait_nose1a.jpg

flakbait_noseart1a.jpg

flakbait_noseart2a.jpg

flakbait_noseart3a.jpg

flakbait_fuse50sa.jpg

flakbait_cockpit3a.jpg

flakbait_cockpit1a.jpg

flakbait_nosetop2a.jpg

flakbait_nosetop1a.jpg

flakbait_radios1a.jpg

Fade to Black...

Here's a really cool shot... this is an NASM press photo.

SI97-15363h3.jpg

Click for larger image

Original sized-image

I'm not entirely sure on this bit of info, but I believe that 'Flak-Bait' is the only existing complete, original, un-restored WWII combat aircraft in the USA. When I say 'complete' I mean that, although only the nose is currently on display, the entire aircraft is in the possession of the NASM... and it retains all of its original military equipment. It has not been de-milled, so to speak. When they finally get this bird back together it's going to be one helluva display piece. I just hope that they don't do any 'restoration' work and limit their efforts to preserving this gal as she is.

Fade to Black...