Possible gulf war M3 knife ?

matty

Here is a picture of a refurbished US M4 Camillus plastic grip that has a guard retaining U pin?

That photo was taken from my Bayonet Points #4, and the following is the explanation for the holes.

Here is another one of those bayonets currently being advertised as being converted from World War 2 production. At first glance it doesn't look too bad, but taking the grips off reveals a surprise. The guard is a correct WW2 Camillus guard, and the pommel is a correct WW2 Standard Products pommel. The blade has a 90-degree back cut, but a close look shows that the true edge grind is not right, as it looks suspiciously like a MilPar blade. When the grips were removed, it revealed that the blade was actually a M5 or M6 blade, probably either a factory overrun or one of those left over after MilPar went out of business and all of their remaining inventory was sold to Century Arms. The tang peen looks like it was done with a dull center punch, and the grips are unmarked and hollowed out inside. Strictly a commercial product made for the "surplus" store trade.

And for the second question, no. The leather handled M3s and M4s did not have the retaining bar - the guard was held in place simply by pressure from the leather handle. If there had been a bar, it would mean that the leather washers would have to have been special cut for the washers that went over it.

• 2 weeks later...

This picture looks like a static display/ demonstration. Note the equipment laid out behind the soldier. Also, the leafy background is not real. Plus I'm trying to recall when the military switched from the 3 prong flash suppressor, to the enclosed/basket flash suppressor. This kinda looks like the Gabriel Demonstration area on Ft Bragg, but could be anywhere. I can't quite pin point the knife, does look like a bayonet, whether M4 or M7, can't quite tell. SKIP

I don't think your going to mount a bayonet on that M16. At least not one without a real long hilt. The XM16E1 came out with the three prong FS. It evolved to the bird cage type before the adoption of the M16A1.

I carried M16E1, and M16A1s, and M16A2s. If I correctly recall we didn't switch to M16A1 until around 1972. At the time I was in the 82d ABN. At one time, I had actually carried an M16 w/o a forward assist on guard duty. As far as the picture goes, that's a standard lenght barrel, and a normal M7 would fit just fine. SKIP

m16 bayonet 001.jpg

Yea, it must be an optical illusion. When I compare the apparent length of the hilt in the picture to the front of the barrel it really looks like the muzzle ring will be well behind the flash suppressor. But comparing the front sight mount to the length of the barrel in front of it the proportions are right. I gots't to pay closer attention.

It is kind of an illusion. I had to take a second look too. Have to keep in mind the M7 bayonet does not fit to the muzzle end of the barrel like an M1. M1 Carbine, or 03'. Also the barrel ring does not even touch the barrel, or flash suppressor. SKIP

We'll I may have gotten lucky with this M3 knife. The seller got me in contact with the son of the soldier who carried this knife. The son sold his military items after his father passed away. He advised that his dad carried this knife during the invasion of Panama in 1989,when he was with the 82nd Airborne,and later in the Gulf War. His father later transferred to the 173rd Airborne where he also carried this knife. He believes that several soldiers in his dad's unit had these made up on base. No way of telling if this is true but he seemed very honest. Matty