AAS Wings - Robbins

aff96

Back to WWI version:

Here are a couple or three pictures that show this wing being worn. The first is a very interesting pre-WWII/WWII vintage photograph of a command pilot wearing his WWI wings--with an interesting modification. At some time, he clearly had a jeweler add the command pilot wreath and star to his "Robbins style" wing.

Sadly, I can't read his name on the picture (the ink has faded, but it reads sometling like "From Uncle Bob") or see what DI's he is wearing on his uniform, which has made IDing him difficult.

Clearly a Robbins style wing, though.

post-1519-0-32967600-1387822475.jpg

post-1519-0-68523600-1387822489.jpg

Then, a couple of my favorite pictures. The first set came out of an album that I picked up at the Rose Bowl fea market a few years ago. It is of Mr and Mrs Freydig (Paul and Elenore). You can see that he is wearing the Robbins style wing with a black background. I always thought that Mrs Freydig seemed to be a lively sort, based on the pictures in their album.

post-1519-0-21126100-1387822806.jpg

But the best, IMHO was Elenore wearing her husband's unifrom! I have a few other pictures of the Freydig family (especailly a few "racy"ones (for ~1918) of the two of them skinny dipping). Check out the pinned thread of "Wings and Pretty Girls" above) for more.

post-1519-0-15649500-1387822897.jpg

Last one. This picture of a pretty young lady came out of another album. I think she was the daughter of one of the officers stationed at Love Field during WWI. Sadly, no one is IDed in the album, but from what I can see, she and her family were in Texas around that time. Her brother was a pilot cadet in the early 20's (I have a couple of nice studio photos of him and his friends-- and likely her boyfriends) at that time. Then, the album had a bunch of photos of (what I assume) were her husband who was a pilot flying B-25s or B-26s in the CBI, as there are a bunch of pictures of him in Agra India during WWII.

This is one of the only pictures of her in the album, but you can see she is wearing a nice Robbins style wing on the sash of her dress. As I said, I always assumed it was from a boyfriend, as she appears to be about 17-18 years old in the photo.

post-1519-0-28062500-1387823343.jpg

Sadly, I can't read his name on the picture (the ink has faded, but it reads sometling like "From Uncle Bob") or see what DI's he is wearing on his uniform, which has made IDing him difficult.

Definitely "Bob" and the DI's look round with a scroll at the base so maybe troop transport or 3rd Air Base but the photo is to small for me to tell.

Mark D

This is a biographical badge I've owned for over 32 years attributed to 2/Lt. Joseph H. Austin, RMA.

It is a full-size variation of the Robbins pilot badge and has its original black-felt back piece. Note the gold US letters are smaller in size and the section where the wings would normally touched the base of the center shield was left open. It has two screw-back fasteners.

Cliff

post-4542-0-95286100-1387839600.jpg

Terrific photos! I personally really love seeing pieces in wear. Cliff those variation Robbins wings are fantastic!

I had thought they stopped issuing these early wings with the modern version in 1919 or 1920, obviously I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Greg

Patrick,

Nice badges! And your terrific original photographs really add a personal glimpse into the background of the Robbins Company wing!

Cliff,

The Robbins variation you've posted is quite stunning! Do you think this badge was personalized by a jeweler's saw? Or the product of a different die?

Thanks to both of you,

Russ

This thread really has produced some great wing badges and photos! Maybe we should have an all metal WW1 badge thread?

Happy Holidays All!

This thread really has produced some great wing badges and photos! Maybe we should have an all metal WW1 badge thread?

Happy Holidays All!

As a newby member/AAS wing collector I vote yes, super idea!

Merry Christmas to all!

Greg