Navy Good Conduct Medal - Antarctic Service

kbulow

Hi All,

Just received my Christmas present to myself, its a Navy Good Conduct Medal named to 2622197 Chief Carpenters Mate Franz Carl Nelson. I've undertaken a bit of online research and have found that he enlisted at Pearl Harbor on the 4th Aug 1937, his first ship being the USS Honolulu. Franz served till the 30th June 1941 aboard the USS Honolulu before transferring to the USS Phoenix, which he served till the 31st July 1941 then to the Naval receiving Station at Norfolk, so just missed the Battle for Pearl Harbor.

Franz mainly served aboard the USS President Hayes in WW2, however had some small stints aboard the USS President Jackson and USS President Adams. After the war he was aboard the USS Arenac and the USS Arthur Middleton, however may main interest was his service from the 18th Oct 1946 to the 14th Dec 1948 aboard the USS Yancey which formed part of the United States Navy Antarctic Developments Program, 1946-1947 (Operation High Jump).

My main interest is named US Medals to personal who have served in Antarctica so I was very excited to find this medal for sale on E-Bay, I intend to apply for his records as I believe he would be entitled to a very nice set of campaign medals. The USS President Hayes took part in the Invasion of Guadalcanal, Rendova Landings, Invasion of Guam and the Invasion of the Philippines, and off course he would also be entitled to the Antarctic Service Medal. I lost track off him after his service aboard the USS Yancey in 1948 so I'm assuming he may have got discharged, further research will be interesting.

Regards,

Kerry

post-7278-0-35083800-1387585324.jpg

Thanks leatherwringer

I'm thinking he'll have an interesting story, however it'll most likely take some time to get the information from his records with the holiday season now here.

Regards,

Kerry

Hello Glenn

Thanks, this is only the 2nd Good Conduct Medal I've found to a Sailor who served on Operation High Jump in Antarctica. The other is a complete group mounted as worn to an Officer (Had to pay a small fortune for it), so to date don't have much in my Antarctic collection, however still looking :D

By the look off it you also collect Antarctic medal groups? or related items

Kerry

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Haven't had that much luck at this stage finding information on him, his service paper are currently not available for another three years I believe, what they released didn't tell me much. I know he served on Active Duty from 3rd August 1937 to 13th Feb 1957, then inactive reserve from the 14th Feb 1957 till he retired on the 1st June 1967. His listed as a Chief Carpenters Mate and also a Damage Control Chief, awards that they gave me under the freedom of Information Act are:

Navy Unit Commendation Medal (not sure what the Unit means)

Navy Good Conduct Medal

Asiatic Pacific Theatre Medal (No stars mentioned however I believe he would be entitled)

American Theatre Medal

American Defence Service Medal

WW2 Victory

Navy Occupation Medal (Asia)

National Defence Service Medal

Philippine Liberation Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Stars

Served on the USS NEREUS in the 1950's, paperwork confirms that he served aboard USS YANCY from 18-10-1946 to 19-05-1949 so he was part of Operation Highjump and would be entitled to the Antarctic Service Medal even tho its not mentioned.

I have moved my attention away from service personnel who are entitled to the Antarctic Service medal, and my main focus is now my main passion which are groups containing foreign awards. I mainly collect British and Australian WW1 groups containing Foreign awards however am keen on American groups also, to date I have two American Officers groups containing Foreign awards both for WW1 service.

Regards,

Kerry