Coast Guard CPO Cap Devices

Tim B

These were previously shown in the Navy CPO combination cover thread prior to the separation of services and having a specific thread for Coast Guard items.

As the Coast Guard CPO rating was first established in May of 1920, I believe this Meyer example may date from the 20's to 30's. It matches the design shown in the 1930 CG Uniform Regulations, though technically I think this anchor pattern (with the fouled cable) carried out to 1942 when they changed the design to a fouled chain.

Here's a WW2 version, post 1942 (or whenever the change actually happened) showing the "chain". Marked Meyer Metal with the raised Meyer shield. I think the "Meyer Metal" hallmark dates it as Pre-WW2 or WW2 vintage but the chain defines the dating post-42 IMO.

post-50776-0-99211600-1387490063.jpg

Great information on these badges. Having a Meyer Metal hallmark and open "c" catch has narrowed this down to a pretty small time-frame. I have not seen other WW2 specific badges bearing this mark. I would venture to say that device was probably one of the first strikes with the chain. Thanks for sharing.

After a couple years of searching, I finally found a first pattern SCPO Cap Badge. For the Coast Guard, the Senior Chief and Master Chief ratings were established in May of 1958. The first exams were given for advancements in August of 1958, and the first wave of Senior Chiefs and Master Chiefs were advanced in November of 1958.

post-4249-0-79097300-1388211416.jpg

Looks nice Paul, congrats!

Yes, that is a Vanguard hallmark. If I am seeing it correctly, it is V-21-CG?

V-21 had three locations that I know of for that mark, two were for Vanguard Military Equip. Co., in either Carlsbad, Ca. or in Norfolk, VA. There was also a Vanguard Insignia Co., Norfolk, VA. What I understand is, that manufacturer hallmarks transitioned to three-digit codes around 1964-1965. The - CG portion is obviously for Coast Guard (- N = Navy).

What I would really like to see, are some examples for the Life Saving Branch and some Station Keeper devices.

Tim

Thanks Tim. The code is V-21-CG. I know that there are three variations of the Senior Chief device, where the position of the star is different. The star was moved over time for the sake of visibility. The fun part will be to determine the ballpark dates these changes went into effect.

Again, the Meyer hallmark:

Hi Tim

The "Meyer" and "New York" in the raised shield, they are

written in mirror image it looks like. Am I seeing that correctly?

I have always heard the Meyer Metal mark is 30's. Nice badges!

Hi Tim

The "Meyer" and "New York" in the raised shield, they are

written in mirror image it looks like. Am I seeing that correctly?

I have always heard the Meyer Metal mark is 30's. Nice badges!

Hi Jay Seay,

Yes, you are correct, the shield mark is in fact reversed. There are many different hallmarks used by Meyer and their rhyme or reason is beyond me but the reversal of the shield has shown up on other Meyer Metal pieces.

I have to state again though, that the fouled chain dates this anchor circa 1942 or later when the Coast Guard and Navy changed the design from the fouled cable (winch wire) to a link chain on the CPO anchors. That is in the instructions for both services.

I'll add some closeups of the Meyer shield on this one and you can see the lettering reversed for both MEYER and NEW YORK.

Tim

post-50776-0-59719900-1388305147.jpg

What I would really like to see, are some examples for the Life Saving Branch and some Station Keeper devices.

Tim

Tim-

Here are a couple of hat badges.

post-322-0-72056100-1388526748.jpgpost-322-0-59353600-1388526760.jpg

Kurt,

Awesome!! I really would love to add one of these type badges to my collection. I have seen a few similar to the example on the left, but I've only seen an artist conception of the one on the right in the 1930 CG Regulations, listing it as a Chief Boatswains Mate (Lifesaving Branch).

Also, I assume the correct name for these are Lifesaving Branch - "Station Keeper" badges? I have seen them listed under the CPO section but seen the title "keeper" listed as CWO.

Can you tell us more? Anyone?

Thanks for posting this rather rare insignia Kurt!

Tim

• 2 months later...

Instead of starting a new and separate thread on garrison cap insignia, I will just continue the discussion on this thread.

Here's a smaller garrison cap anchor that is of the WW2 design. I wasn't sure of the exact timeframe on this one until I seen another example shown by Paul in a separate thread showing an attributed uniform ('38 - '47) that has the same pattern anchor on the cap. I'll let Paul post those photos for comparison.

post-50776-0-98789800-1395888890.jpg

In trying to date this one, I was tryng to find out when the Coast Guard instituted the garrison cap and could only figure that they followed the Navy (as they were part of the Navy in wartime) and the Navy instituted their cap device in February 1943. Here's a page from the Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin (later known under the "All Hands" name) when the cap was an optional part of the uniform.

post-50776-0-26539800-1395890028.jpg

A closer look at the excerpt showing Navy Adm. Halsey who was a big proponent for the garrison style cap.

Note the different uniforms the cap was authorized for.

post-50776-0-40200500-1395890253.jpg

Interestingly, the same issue also shown the "new" Coast Guard style uniform that was single-breasted. I believe this was when the CG got away from the double-breasted style altogether. Anyone know that for sure?

post-50776-0-63616100-1395890470.jpg