Is Schipperfabrik a legitimate supplier of WW I reproduction items?

dadwasajarhead

dadwasajarhead

Three months ago I spent about $1400 on a reproduction U.S. Army M1912 wool enlisted man's uniform, great coat, small box respirator, shelter half, rain coat, poncho, equipment suspenders, and bread tins. Has anyone ever received these items from Schipperfabrik? They are located in Wisconsin. Their web site says that everything is made after the order is placed, so they don't keep any stock. Are these guys legitimate, or are they a scam?

dadwasajarhead

It has been two months. Their web site says it takes eight to twelve weeks to have unifiorm items made by their tailor. The customer service people are nice enough. I just woul like to find out about their track record.

Everybody I've known to buy gear items have received them but I don't know anybody who has ordered a uniform from them.

Please keep us updated!

LF

You say three months ago you pay'd/bought, and it as been two months, and they say it takes two months to three months to be made, I would give them a more time.

dan_the_hun84

I had no serious problems with them, but then again I ordered items that were in stock (mostly). Give them the time quoted at least, I think you will be happy

dadwasajarhead

Thanks Dan,

Like I said, they are really nice folks. Heather said that they still have (17) uniforms ahead of mine. It is a little disturbing to wait three months to get something that cost over $1000, but it took three months to get my Civil War Uniform and leather goods from Fall Creek Suttlery. Who knows, maybe somebody is planning on shooting an Archduke somewhere, and starting WW I all over again?

Thanks,

Steve

dan_the_hun84

Thanks Dan,

Like I said, they are really nice folks. Heather said that they still have (17) uniforms ahead of mine. It is a little disturbing to wait three months to get something that cost over $1000, but it took three months to get my Civil War Uniform and leather goods from Fall Creek Suttlery. Who knows, maybe somebody is planning on shooting an Archduke somewhere, and starting WW I all over again?

Thanks,

Steve

I understand the trepidation, spending the cash and not seeing the product for a whole quarter. But I doubt you will have any issues with the product, they have been around for a while. Keep us posted.

The two uniform sets I've grabbed from them took about 3 months to receive. Long wait but totally worth it. They have a great product line up, I've got gear from them also and it's top notch.

I have never had a problem with Schipper. Their stuff is the best. Let us keep in mind that they are also pretty much the only quality WWI supplier out there. With the WWI Centennial impending, I am not at all surprised that they may be behind in their orders. (I know that the unit with which I am associated has doubled in size.) As everyone else has said, just be patient. You won't be disappointed.

I have known Paul for ages and ages (since the war), and he is a stand up guy. Part of the problem you are facing is that they just HAD to move to wo work issues, so everything they had, had to be packed up and moved. I am sure this added a delay to everything that they were unable to predict in advance.

I'm a friend of his and I had to wait that long. He and Heather are pretty clear on the site about wait times. Its just the name of the game, unless you want something pre-made that will not fit, and comes from China in some polyester cloth (which was probably made on patterns stolen from his work). There was some talk about doing pre-made US uniforms in the original QMC sizes so purists can buy "original one size fits none" but from what I gather few were interested in this.

I have most of the stuff you mention from them, and it is all very well made. (Although not the suspenders or poncho- I have the raincoat is AMAZING, and no one really wore the y straps).

I've never known them to be anything other than open about what's going on, so just call and ask. If you can't wait then I am sure they will refund your money and you can try and find it elsewhere. This is just one of the problems with reenactment items- they don't grow on trees, and people can not afford to spring for a few thousand at a time to have in stock. But I can assure you they are well known, honest vendors, are not rolling in money over this business. They will either do it right, or not at all.

Besides, it is not easy getting those 110 year old Belgian ladies to speed up their sewing.

Everything I have gotten from Paul and Heather, uniform, equipment, web gear, raincoat is excellent. Their recent move and having a couple of the year's biggest events occur in the last month and a half combined with who now s how many orders in the works for the 100th anniversary of the Great War coming up, probably has them backed up more than usual. I would be patient. I know it's very difficult but I know they will deliver as soon as possible and you won't be disappointed.

Chris Cliburn

• 1 month later...

I had trouble getting a small box respirator out of them. Finally got it after two tries. It's good quality, but in the intervening years the cloth covering the hose is coming unglued. It's never left my "war room" so that's not good. Also his manufacturer reuses original filter canisters, so if you dont strip it and use a rust-fixative it will rust through the coat of paint they put on it.

- Ted Filer

I just received an order that consisted of a 1910 pack, 1910 FAP, and 1917 cartridge belt. I had originally ordered the Pack, FAP, 1910 canteen cover and pea green 1910 cartridge belt. The communication was great by email and when I asked if the items were in stock I was told the 1910 cartridge belt was in production and the canteen cover had just gone out of stock. So I asked Heather if the 1917 belts were in stock and if it was possible to sub it and she said no problem. They had to finish up the pack and the order arrived yesterday and I unpacked it today all I can say is wow this is good stuff there was a note saying the canteen cover would ship in aprrox 2-4 weeks. If you order you might be better calling them as they can tell you what they have in stock as the website does not maintain a live inventory but I was more than happy with the products and the service. I understand your trepidation about your laying out a bunch of money for a Uniform but if the uniforms are like the gear that arrived today you will be more than happy even if it takes awhile to get.

Mack

• 1 month later...

My Grand Father used to get his suits made in Hong Kong in the late 40's and 50's, by a famous tailor there, he'd stop in at the shop, spend most of the day with picking; styles, fabrics, measurements, etc. He'd pay up, and when whatever took him to Hong Kong was done (twice he actually went there just for new suits), he'd head home. If he had them sent it would be about 6 to 8 months, He would spend about $1,200- $1,500 on suits, not counting travel costs, in 1940's 50's money! Quality is worth a Gentleman's patience is what he would say about things like this!

• 2 weeks later...

I would add to the list of people who say not to worry. They are good people to deal with and their products are outstanding. Their WW1 US raincoats are quite well done and sturdy, and the rest I've seen or purchased passes muster with flying colors.

• 2 months later...

They are legit but they take forever. They are very nice. I received part of one order then the rest was supposed to take up to 6 weeks. I heard about a guy who ordered a raincoat and it took over a year.

• 4 weeks later...
VladimirBerkov

The girl (Heather?) that answers the phone is very helpful. They make it clear it takes time to make the uniforms and that some items not in stock may be a long time coming.

Good folks, some stuff does take forever.. Just got my WW1 USMC trousers after a 9 month wait but worth it.. All my gear is Schipper... Paul and Heather are good folks.. Like many of us they have a family, a regular job and their gear / equipment line is their side gig... Worth the wait..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

While they are very nice, there are others who have stock.

http://www.mantheline.com/products.php?cat=31 - Great reenactor run business, only sells what he has in stock, no preordering

http://www.argonnemilitaria.com/Default.asp - Another great maker, only sells what he has in stock

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-re-enactment-us-ww1-category,759 - Another good supplier from across the pond, takes some time to clear customs, but great stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
dadwasajarhead

Well here it is guys! Everything fits like a glove. I ended up getting an original SBR because they has problems with the eyeglass manufacturer. I use the 1907 suspenders for a 1916 Pancho Villa Cavalry Impression. I know what you mean about the raincoat, it is just awesome! The USMC Poncho is the only repro that I have ever found that is suitable for Guadalcanal.

• 2 weeks later...