White Leather Flight Helmet Identification Help Requested

Clayton

Gents;

Could anyone tell me what kind of helmet we have here? This helmet is made of, what I believe to be, white leather. It has a "U.S. AIR FORCE" winged star side stamp, the helmet is lined in grey colored cloth. The contract label reads, "HELMET, FLYING, PROTECTIVE, H149/A1C, HEADSET, TYPE MB-3, MIL-HY-25758A (USAF), AVIATORS EQUIPMENT CORP., CONTRACT AF36 (600) - 6538, SIZE MEDIUM". The helmet is complete with the white leather throat microphone.

Ant helmet would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Clay

post-35523-0-23330700-1387482294.jpg

post-35523-0-75555000-1387482304.jpg

Hello Guys;

Yes it has goggle retention loops on the rear and the body is rather thick. I never saw another helmet like this but I don't know much about helmets.

Best regards to all,

Clay

Gentlemen;

Many thanks for your help. There are real experts on this forum and I thank you for your help on this protective flight helmet.

Best regards to all,

Clay

This helmet bridged the gap between cloth or single-layer leather helmets from the World War 2 era to a true hard-shell helmet. With the introduction of jets and ejection seats a bit more protection was needed. This thick, padded, white leather helmet did provide straps for goggles and the bill -- yes, this helmet had a leather bill that snapped on the front and had an elastic band that wrapped around the helmet like a goggle would. It is not rare, but is a fine piece to have in your collection.