experimental #8

dskjl

These things are nice and this one is in excellent condition but, they are still experimental's and never saw combat. Still it would be nice to have one. Now, if you want rare and combat used? Find me a photographers M-1(short list of "must have" helmets). :)

These things are nice and this one is in excellent condition but, they are still experimental's and never saw combat.

The vast majority of the completed Model 8s never even saw the outside of the Ford plant in Philadelphia until well after the war was over.

These things are nice and this one is in excellent condition but, they are still experimental's and never saw combat. Still it would be nice to have one. Now, if you want rare and combat used? Find me a photographers M-1(short list of "must have" helmets). :)

it kills me to say this but a photographers helmet from a female correspondent sold at the Denver show in Oct. for $800 just as I walked up to the table. A once in a lifetime opportunity missed by a few moments.

it kills me to say this but a photographers helmet from a female correspondent sold at the Denver show in Oct. for $800 just as I walked up to the table. A once in a lifetime opportunity missed by a few moments.

Arrrrggghhh!!!! :o

Well I have a 5, a 5a, and an 8 and I really do enjoy them. They are not for everybody but they are tough to find and always add stimulating conversation amongst collectors.

3.jpg

I have seen a photo or video clip, I will try to find it, in a documentary, with one of these. I am positive it is this one, as it has the visor flipped up, and it is one man in a crowd of doughboys, I believe standing on a captured German emplacement or large gun, that part is foggy. I will find the screen shot and post it here. I think the documentary was the one about the last day of the war, not that that means the photo or clip was actually from then, but maybe folks can tell about the era of the shot from the picture.

I have seen a photo or video clip, I will try to find it, in a documentary, with one of these. I am positive it is this one, as it has the visor flipped up, and it is one man in a crowd of doughboys, I believe standing on a captured German emplacement or large gun, that part is foggy. I will find the screen shot and post it here. I think the documentary was the one about the last day of the war, not that that means the photo or clip was actually from then, but maybe folks can tell about the era of the shot from the picture.

Man I would love to see that clip. Good luck in your search.

I might have told you wrong. I went through my old posts and found the one I was looking for. I saw a #8 a few years ago, and posted about it. In the same post, and around the same time, I had seen the footage, and apparently it was a medic in a great coat, and he is wearing the prototype that looks just like this one without a visor. If I am mixed up, that's the reason why. I will still find the clip and make sure, though.

I might have told you wrong. I went through my old posts and found the one I was looking for. I saw a #8 a few years ago, and posted about it. In the same post, and around the same time, I had seen the footage, and apparently it was a medic in a great coat, and he is wearing the prototype that looks just like this one without a visor. If I am mixed up, that's the reason why. I will still find the clip and make sure, though.

Thanks for the input and the time spent searching.

OK, I know I have seen a visor-up helmet somewhere, because while I found the clip, I know I have seen a different shot and saw a visor UP. I'll keep looking.

Here's the clip I was able to find, which shows what I think is a #5. Nothing about this picture reminds me of the one I am picturing, but I will continue looking. With everybody standing around and passing canteen cups, it seems plausible that it is armistice day, perhaps.

post-9670-0-10391500-1387603340.jpg

post-9670-0-61607800-1387603376.jpg

OK, I know I have seen a visor-up helmet somewhere, because while I found the clip, I know I have seen a different shot and saw a visor UP. I'll keep looking.

Here's the clip I was able to find, which shows what I think is a #5. Nothing about this picture reminds me of the one I am picturing, but I will continue looking. With everybody standing around and passing canteen cups, it seems plausible that it is armistice day, perhaps.

and a medic to boot, very cool pic

Looks rather Germanic! Stick your head above the parapet wearing that and you'd stand a good chance of attracting "friendly fire"! :o