Bag, Carrying, Ammo, M1 w/ Strap, Carrying c.1944

Sabrejet

Rambob, I have one of those (pix coming when I repixelate them) fitted to a '45 dated G.P. Bag. It is actually made of HBT, as is yours! I also have one laying around someplace which is made of the same sateen fabric that the M1943 Field Jackets are made of, with several rows of white threaded stitching. No doubt, Wartime expediency.

Very interesting variants fellas...never seen their like before! Must've been much more labour-intensive to produce than the regular woven type? In terms of their construction, they're reminiscent of how the belts on men's rain-coats were made.

Here is the revised-strap version of the G.P. Bag rigged the way I believe it was intended; the Bag in this pic is the one I used in the Scouts, made in 1951.

(Notice the dark stain at the bottom corner of the Bag: the moral of the story is, don't carry butter on a Scout pack trip unless you also carry an ice chest :wacko:)

post-3226-0-64415800-1387642213.jpg

A rare vintage shot of the 1951 Nyompa G.P. Bag in use!!!!!!!

Hooked up to an M1945 Pack, with a 'flage M.C. Shelter Half peeking out at the bottom...

post-3226-0-52592100-1387642730.jpeg

Here is another one of those "off-the-wall" G.P. Carrying Straps which Rambob posted above- identical right down to the maker; this Bag is made by "Victory Canvas" in 1945:

post-3226-0-48204800-1387643121.jpg

That picture is fantastic, a picture is worth a thousand words! perfect example of the use of surplus by scouts. Wool m1944 sleeping bag, hatchet w/carrier, looks to be a M2 jungle med kit, M1910 canteen set, camo shelter half, GP bag, also looks to be wearing surplus boondockers. Due to the straps holding down the sleeping bag and khaki color most likely a m1941 USMC haversack or faded M44/M45?

I can imagine his whole troop fitted out a similar way. This picture is the perfect visual in those threads for equipment "been there done that", modified gear AKA rigger made and named equipment accompanied by the older guard explaining how they use to use surplus in the scouts in the 50's and 60's

Dustin- Quite a commentary!! You got all the stuff nailed pretty much; the main pack is a well-used-for-playing-War M1945. I had more surplus gear than most in my Troop, as I was already well into this stuff by the time I entered the Scouts; one of the senior Scouts carried an O.D.#3 Rucksack (this began my psychosis...uuh, I mean fascination with these) and wore his Dad's old Combat Boots which he brought home with him from the War (a pair of which I also snagged as soon as my allowance savings swelled sufficiently). Those are the Boots in the picture, and below as they are today...they still have some of the "original" mud here and there. They were unused when I got 'em, and for some reason they don't fit any more ;)

post-3226-0-39993700-1387645466.jpg

A photo taken from Osprey's "U.S. Army combat Equipments" by Gordon Rottman; 2 G.P. Bags can be seen in this shot, taken at Leyte in 1944:

post-3226-0-26396100-1387648055.jpeg

Flage Guy, How about this for a coincidence!! The G.P Bag that I keep with my Robey Tackle Co. 1945 strap is the exact same bag that you keep with yours. A mint Victory Canvas 1945 OD bag.

Bob

LOL...Small Collecting world we live in!!!! :) Any pics?

Dang- My '45 Bag isn't mint (doesn't show much of any use, though), but, well, I got a Victory Canvas '44 that is (upper row in the "group shot", 2nd from right.