Bag, Carrying, Ammo, M1 w/ Strap, Carrying c.1944

Sabrejet

I picked this up at my local antiques market a few days ago. It's in perfect, unissued condition. It's '44 dated and in OD #7 canvas with revised integral carrying straps. The earlier model was manufactured in OD#3 and had two snap-hooks to attach a general purpose carrying strap with its two "D" rings, like on a musette bag. For some reason, the later model substituted a spring-hook for one of the "D" rings, thus rendering the old-style carrying strap useless as you can't attach a "D" ring to a "D" ring! So, a newly designed carrying strap with spring-hooks was introduced. Thus, with this arrangement, it was hook > hook and hook > "D" ring....very strange!

There are also pairs of "D" rings on each side of the back to enable it to be attached to a variety of carrying harnesses. Internally, there is a single large pocket. These bags were designed to carry a range of ammo from mg belts to grenades. I've also read that were also sometimes used by GIs as "substitute" musettes!

post-8022-0-76894700-1387460965.jpg

post-8022-0-07819200-1387460967.jpg

post-8022-0-85427900-1387460969.jpg

Carrying straps. On the left the later double spring-clip type. On the right, the regular M36 musette type with its double "D" rings. The later model is '44 dated.

post-8022-0-85505900-1387461295.jpg

post-8022-0-18473300-1387461297.jpg

Nice find. I have seen one of those at antique store before but it was post war dated and the store was asking $150 not sure why the price was so high. Im thinking it might have belonged to a relative of his since the store owner sold alot of his dads gear from when he was in the military in the 50s.

Nice find. I have seen one of those at antique store before but it was post war dated and the store was asking $150 not sure why the price was so high. Im thinking it might have belonged to a relative of his since the store owner sold alot of his dads gear from when he was in the military in the 50s.

$150?! :o I paid the equivalent of about $30.

Thats exactly what I thought when I saw the price tag. That's why I think think the item has alot of sentimental value for the owner of the store. He sells(I should say selled since he closed down recently) alot of military item's that was his dad's for really expensive prices. But other item's he has that don't belong to family members he sells cheap. I got a pistol belt with canteen cover and canteen all WW2 for $15 from him.

Can anyone explain why these bags have the mixed "D" ring / snap-hook fixtures? There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for it, but there must have been...mustn't there?! The only thing that I can think of is that the integral straps can be joined accordingly, thus creating a kind of carrying handle.

Don't have a clue. But it just give us more things to collect. I have several but can't remember what all I have. I think they all might be the early version. Robert

That was a good price. You generally find these in very good condition. I have an OD3 example and a transitional one in my collection.

Rich

Rich...feel free to add some pics of yours if you feel so inclined? Thanks! ;)

The Double D ring sling I seem to recall they were used for the musette bag because of the double hooks on it. I have 13 of the GP bags from 1943 to 1945 I picked them up from $5 to $15 I haven't found any in a wile. The 1943 dated bags & British made are the hardest to find.

The first picture is the group! The next picture the top row ( L) to (R ) is a 1944 British made and the next three are 1943 dated.

Craig

post-7997-0-71510500-1387500214.jpg

post-7997-0-64624900-1387500224.jpg

Can anyone explain why these bags have the mixed "D" ring / snap-hook fixtures? There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for it, but there must have been...mustn't there?! The only thing that I can think of is that the integral straps can be joined accordingly, thus creating a kind of carrying handle.

Ian, it looks to me like the strap with the snap hook is to be folded down and joined to the lower D-ring, thus enabling a horizontal carry in the event that a G.P. Strap is not available. It works perfectly in this way, and I've seen photos of the Bags being carried "briefcase style".

This topic seemed an appropriate place to post an interesting carrying strap marked U.S. Robey Tackle Co. 1945 that I have had for some time. It is OD cloth and the interesting thing is it is not made of a one piece, woven web strap like all others I have seen. It is made out of OD cloth that is folded over on one side and hemmed on the other. It also has 7 rows of stitching running the entire length of the strap to keep the two layers of cloth sewn securely together. This method of construction would allow any clothing manufacturer to make these straps using standard cloth and not needing any custom woven strap material. It would have taken a significant amount of thread to build the strap though.

Bob

post-299-0-37807400-1387593794.jpg