The Brazil fought bravely in WW2

RonaldoDias

Gentlemen, greetings. Firstly, I would like to thank you for having me on this forum. My name is Professor Ronaldo Dias, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I'm a historian, collector and dealer of antique military artifacts, mainly from WW2. I do not know if it is widely known, but Brazil also fought in WW2, alongside the Allies, specifically as a force on the 5th U.S. Army, subject to the orders of General Mark Clark. We also send our Air Force pilots, who lutoram the powerful Republic P-47. In total, we sent 25,443 men to the theater of operations in Italy, and had only 462 casualties. All of our equipment was provided by the United States Army, since we had were very precarious. Adrian still wore helmets! I will always be posting new information for those who wish to learn about this part of history and I appreciate any new information. Thank you and see you soon.

post-150379-0-29808200-1387444246.jpg

Welcome RolandoDias! You will find that this forum is made up of very knowledgeable and helpful collectors and students of military history. I recently discovered this patch in a grouping of US 10th Mountain Division items at the estate sale of a 10th Mountain Veteran. As I started researching the patch, I was very impressed when reading about the role that the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (FEB) played in the fighting in Italy. Thanks, Al in Dallas.

post-12790-0-33337100-1387455111.jpg

post-12790-0-25819800-1387455124.jpg

Hey Al...that's a very nice, and dare I say it..."rare" ....patch you have there!

Thanks Ian. The patch was in a ziplock type bag with a lot of 10th Mountain patches and tabs, a silver DUI, NRA marksmanship medals, Culver Military Academy medals, and many other items related to the Veteran's military service. The funny thing is, the bag was in a box of sewing items and I just happened to see a 10th Mountain patch peeking above all of the spools of thread and other sewing items. When I stared my research, I posted pictures of the patch on a thread that Ricardo had started related to uniforms of Brazilian forces in Italy. Well, to say the least, the rest is history. I was shocked to see the responses as to it scarcity and value. Just goes to show you, things pop up in the strangest of places. Thanks, Al.

Welcome Ronaldo! If you search for "Brazil" you will find several threads on this forum. Here is a link that I posted to a display of the Brazilian Air Force in WWII that was exhibited at the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9591-wwii-brazilian-air-force/?hl=brazil&do=findComment&comment=58203

Hirsca, That's a great "Smoking Cobra"!

beautiful little discussed topic unfortunately. My wife is Brazilian? what it will please me to go a little material from this country

Seja bem vindo, Ronaldo!

O ambiente aqui é muito favorável a pesquisa e conhecimento. Tenho certeza que encontraras o que precisas além de muitas futuras amizades.

Estou aqui desde o início e me sinto em casa.

Atenciosamente,

Ricardo.

Welcome, Ronaldo!
The environment here is very supportive of research and knowledge. I'm sure you will find what you need plus many future friendships.
I'm here from the beginning and I feel at home.
Regards,
Ricardo.

The above reads "Welcome Professor Ronaldo Dias. Senta a Pua!"

"Senta a Pua" is the battle cry and motto of the 1st Brazilain Fighter Squadron of the USA 350th Fighter Group of WWII. There is no adequate English translation that I know. It would be like translating Bonsai! instead of writing Bonsai. I have heard it translated as "By the Seat of Your Pants" although literally it is more "Sit on the Stick". It also has the connotation "Stick it to Them". There are other modern connotations. But in the context of WWII "Senta a Púa" in English is "Senta a Púa".

Professor, fell free to contact my as regards the FAB. I am the archivist for the 350th Fighter Group and friends with Luis Gabriel whom I am certain you know.