Was this Assault vest at D Day?

rayg

This vest came out of a garage in Middle Wisconsin and is in pretty bad condition. Most of the grommets are missing and it looks like the material around them rotted out. There are other areas where the material is missing/rotted. The vest has some white staining and I'm wondering if that is what it would look if the vest was exposed to salt water. Any opinions on that? I don't think the vest was bleached as all the straps, thread and trim remain their natural colors.

There is a name, Hansen, lightly visible written on the inside flap cover as well as what looks like a serial number #36454057 and a makers stamp.

I'm trying to confirm this, but the story told to me was a guy was helping clean out a garage and found the vest in the garage. He offered to buy it as he had an idea what it was. But the garage owner just told him to take it.

The guy then sold it to the guy I got it from. I asked the the guy I got it from to try to get the name and more info about the original owner to find out if there's any known history regarding the vest. Hopefully there is some.

Does anyone know if it's possible to look up the serial number written and the name Hansen that's written on the vest? Ray

post-89-0-60144200-1387418547.jpg

post-89-0-02403700-1387418588.jpg

You might be right that it's an 8.

Here's one of the grommets that fell off. I wonder what would cause the material around the grommet to rot away like that. Some kind of reaction between the cloth and the brass. Would the iodine in the salt do that? Ray

post-89-0-85060700-1387422569.jpg

That Vest has all the symptoms of having been through the surf, and not been cleaned afterward. If that Vest was used in an amphibious assault, you've made a great find!

The more I look at the numbers, I think the 2nd number is a "6", 36454057, Ray

I agree on that. That's an amazing find! Hopefully you find out something about the soldier.

The more I look at the numbers, I think the 2nd number is a "6", 36454057, Ray

Definitely could be, it is hard to tell from the photo what is painted lettering on the second digit, and what is faded canvas.

If it is 36454057 then NARA's WWII enlistment database doesn't have him. As the page explains "Known gaps exist in the records."

RC

Since this is not my area of collecting this is more of a question for me to learn. With a Date of 1944 would it have been produced in time to be used on D-Day?

Hi,

I don't like much this vest.

The typo of Harian is not the one commonly seen, I don't recognize the buckles.

If it's cheap, why not but I would not bet on it

Max

Since this is not my area of collecting this is more of a question for me to learn. With a Date of 1944 would it have been produced in time to be used on D-Day?

Of course. The US armed forces fiscal year 1944 started on July 1, 1943 and ended on June 30, 1944. What is stamped it is contract (fiscal) year, not calenadar year.

Hi,

I don't like much this vest.

The typo of Harian is not the one commonly seen, I don't recognize the buckles.

If it's cheap, why not but I would not bet on it

Max

Thanks Max, as I was taking photos of it I was starting to get some mixed feelings about it too. I can't find a serial number match to the Hansen name.I tried a lot of different combinations. The condition of some of the straps don't match the condition of the rest of the vest. You mentioned about the buckles, as I don't have an original vest to compare, do you, or any one here have some close-up photos of the buckles on an original Harian vest. Anyway, here's a close up of the Harian stamp. I'm beginning to suspect that it may be a aged repro used by a re-inactor. Probably why he gave it away. Too bad, Ray

post-89-0-49123900-1387453690.jpg