Salvage Sailor

USS AMERICA (CVA-66) 1974 Med Cruise

CVA 66 USS AMERICA 001.jpg

CVA 66 USS AMERICA 002.jpg

CVA 66 USS AMERICA 003.jpg

Had to be a squared away Seaman to be assigned to the Captain's Gig

CVA 66 USS AMERICA 006.jpg

CVA 66 USS AMERICA 007.jpg

Nice patches. I really like the Forrestal G Div patch. Do you know if there was a patch from the Enterprise for the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Adam,

I'm sure there were but I haven't seen any.

Good Hunting

PS - The last two Intrepid patches you posted are Primo

Thanks! Sadly, I don't have those two patches anymore. I sold them because I found something that I wanted more. The good thing is that they went to a former Intrepid crew member and he was tickled to death to get them. :D

Thanks! Sadly, I don't have those two patches anymore. I sold them because I found something that I wanted more. The good thing is that they went to a former Intrepid crew member and he was tickled to death to get them. :D

. That's very common. At the time, it's not important, we could spend the money on more important things ( like beer in the next port). Years later we wish we had them

. That's very common. At the time, it's not important, we could spend the money on more important things ( like beer in the next port). Years later we wish we had them

I don't really regret that I don't have them. I have a goal in mind for my Navy patch project and those weren't part of it. I came across them at some point and I used them to get something else. I have done the same thing with guitars and guns over the years. I feed one hobby with the proceeds from another. I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt for these things. The only regrets I have from selling is from years ago. I had a 1943 Colt 1911-A1 and complete pistol rig that I loved and an ultra rare 1961 Fender Jazz Bass. Those were a "need money fast, sell off" due to being hit and run by an uninsured drunk driver.

I don't really regret that I don't have them. I have a goal in mind for my Navy patch project and those weren't part of it. I came across them at some point and I used them to get something else. I have done the same thing with guitars and guns over the years. I feed one hobby with the proceeds from another. I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt for these things. The only regrets I have from selling is from years ago. I had a 1943 Colt 1911-A1 and complete pistol rig that I loved and an ultra rare 1961 Fender Jazz Bass. Those were a "need money fast, sell off" due to being hit and run by an uninsured drunk driver.

. I was talking about the guy who bought the Intrepid patches. As a young Sailor, they weren't really that important. But years later, you wish you had them. When I was on the Kitty Hawk, there was a special cruise patch made. It was $5, and at the time, that was a pretty good time in Subic. The guys I worked with thought it was cheesy, so all things considered, I skipped it. Now, I wish I'd gotten it. It was something special from a different time.

• 10 months later...
Salvage Sailor

A Rare Korean War Penguin and part of United States Naval history

Cabello de Horno, Numerus Primus - First Around the Horn

post-2322-0-11616900-1481095981_thumb.jpg

First Around the Horn - Korean War Cruise 1952 USS ORISKANY (CV-34) - She was the first US Carrier to ever go 'Round the Horn in July of 1952. She was pulled from the reserve fleet, modernized, and sent to the Sixth Fleet in the Med in 1950. She received a new flight deck capable of handling jets in 1951-52. Then it was goodbye Norfolk and the Atlantic Fleet, hello San Diego and the Pacific Fleet heading out to the war zone in Korea.

• Oriskany returned to Quonset Point on 4 October 1951 and, after a month of post-deployment leave and upkeep, sailed west to Gravesend Bay, New York, to offload ammunition and to have her masts removed to allow passage under the East River Bridges. Entering the New York Naval Shipyard in mid-November, the aircraft carrier underwent her first major overhaul. Yard work included the installation of a new flight deck to make it easier to operate jet aircraft and modifications to the steering system and bridge layout. Work was complete by 15 May 1952 and the carrier put to sea the next day to take on ammunition at Norfolk 19-22 May. She then got underway to join the Pacific Fleet, steaming via Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Valparaiso, Chile; and Lima, Peru; before arriving at her new home port at San Diego, Calif. on 21 July. During this transit, Oriskany received a visit from Brazilian President Get-lio Vargas on 20 June during a stop at Rio de Janeiro and, on 29 June, became the first American aircraft carrier to sail around Cape Horn. According to the Oriskany cruise book, the warship, after turning north along the coast of Chile, steamed through seas so rough that the crew had to sit on the mess hall decks to eat.

Interesting reading here detailing her Korean War Cruise https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/o/oriskany.html

Reverse - 1952 Original made to commemorate 'rounding the horn enroute to their first Korean War cruise

CV 34 USS ORISKANY 1952 KW CRUISE First Around the Horn 002.jpg

...and her next Asian conflict

USS ORISKANY (CVA-34) 1971 Westpac Vietnam cruise

CVA 34 USS ORISKANY 1971 CRUISE 001.jpg

1971 Japanese made

CVA 34 USS ORISKANY 1971 CRUISE 002.jpg

USS ORISKANY (CVA-34) 1971 Vietnam vet's cruise patches

CVA 34 USS ORISKANY SET 1971 001.jpg

CVA 34 USS ORISKANY SET 1971 002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Nice size to that one. That was their Med cruise right after the Cuban Missile Crisis from September 1962 to April 1963 before she went into Drydock.

These Italian bullion patches were popular on Med Cruises in the early 1960's - USS SPRINGFIELD (CLG-7), Flagship of the Sixth Fleet which controlled the F.D. ROOSEVELT task force in the Med

CLG 7 USS SPRINGFIELD Med Cruise 1961 Bullion 001.jpg

It's neat how the two patches are nearly identical... although yours looks a little cleaner and all the words are spelled correctly. Yours has that extra dash between USS and CRUISE and everything just looks like someone took their time to make it look nicer. It looks like someone was in a hurry when they made the Rooselvet patch.

Salvage Sailor

It's neat how the two patches are nearly identical... although yours looks a little cleaner and all the words are spelled correctly. Yours has that extra dash between USS and CRUISE and everything just looks like someone took their time to make it look nicer. It looks like someone was in a hurry when they made the Rooselvet patch.

Certainly the pressure is on when making thousands of Birdfarm patches rather than a couple hundred or so for a Cruiser. The patch I posted looks 'cleaner' as it's not tarnished. Fortunately for me the vet kept in wrapped up in a box.

• 3 months later...
Salvage Sailor

USS SHANGRI LA (CVA-38) 1965 Cruise CVW 10 embarked

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 001.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 002.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 CAW 10 003.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 CAW 10 004.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 CAW 10 001.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 CAW 10 002.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 CAW 10 002a.jpg

USS SHANGRI LA (CVA-38) 1965 Cruise CVW 10 embarked - V-1 Division

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 003.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA 1965 004.jpg

My dad was on Shangri-la, 1954-1956. He went aboard while she was being modified with an angle deck and hurricane bow. He made the '56 WestPac. I was born while he was aboard the "Shang".

Salvage Sailor

USS SHANGRI LA (CVA-38) Naval Weather Service

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA Naval Weather Service 001.jpg

CVA 38 USS SHANGRI LA Naval Weather Service 002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

USS ESSEX (CVA-9) 1950's cut edge Gemsco

CVA 9 USS ESSEX Gemsco 001.jpg

CVA 9 USS ESSEX Gemsco 002.jpg

USS ESSEX (CVS-9) 1960's

CVS 9 USS ESSEX 001.jpg

CVS 9 USS ESSEX 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USS YORKTOWN (CVS-10)

CVS 10 USS YORKTOWN 003.jpg

USS YORKTOWN (CVS-10) Japanese made 1950's

CVS 10 USS YORKTOWN 001.jpg

CVS 10 USS YORKTOWN 002.jpg

USS YORKTOWN (CVS-10) HELMSMAN Japanese made 1950's (with the typical misspelled word)

CVS 10 USS YORKTOWN HELMSMAN  001.jpg

CVS 10 USS YORKTOWN HELMSMAN  002.jpg

USS INTREPID (CVS-11) 1960's Centurion Tailhook 200 landings patch and Communications Division Radioman's patch

CVS 11 USS INTREPID 001.jpg

CVS 11 USS INTREPID 002.jpg

USS INTREPID (CVS-11) 1960's Ballcap patch still in the cellophane

CVS 11 USS INTREPID Ballcap 001.jpg

CVS 11 USS INTREPID Ballcap 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USS HORNET (CV/CVA/CVS-12)

CVA 12 USS HORNET 001.jpg

USS HORNET (CVA-12) 1950's

CVA 12 USS HORNET 002.jpg

CVA 12 USS HORNET 003.jpg

USS HORNET (CVS-12) 1960's E with two hashmarks

CVS 12 USS HORNET 001.jpg

CVS 12 USS HORNET 002.jpg

USS HORNET (CVS-12) 1960's Japanese cut edge mis-spelled HELO CENTURION

CVS 12 USS HORNET Helo Centurion 001.jpg

CVS 12 USS HORNET Helo Centurion 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USS TICONDEROGA (CVS-14) Vietnam Cruise 1971 from a VS-38 Red Griffins veteran

CVS 14 USS TICONDEROGA VS-38 Red Griffins Set 1971 003.jpg

CVS 14 USS TICONDEROGA VS-38 Red Griffins Set 1971 004.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USS KITTY HAWK (CV-63) 1977-1980 Ships' Store WESTPAC - Camel Station Patched Cruise Jacket

CV 63 USS KITTY HAWK WESTPAC 79 Jacket 003.jpg

CV 63 USS KITTY HAWK WESTPAC 79 Jacket 004.jpg

1977-1978 WESTPAC, 1979-1980 Iranian Crisis Camel Station WESTPAC

CV 63 USS KITTY HAWK WESTPAC 79 Jacket 002.jpg

Reverse, Iranian Crisis

CV 63 USS KITTY HAWK WESTPAC 79 Jacket 001.jpg