Medals and Uniforms in the Naval Academy and Naval War College Museums

Dave

Great photos Dave! Thanks for posting this rare look.

Did you notice if they had anything from Admiral Jonas H.Ingram?

Hmmm....I can't remember anything from him in either location. :(

IMG-20131209-00342.jpg

Amazing Dave,

Any ideas how the Grand Cross orders and bars were mounted? Curious how the mounting keeps the weight of the badges and medals from stressing the ribbon drapes and sashes, and the mini medal cases as well....really amazing displays

Someone on here does veteran's association awards. They had these mounted in the stairway and I figured I'd photograph them for him...

IMG-20131209-00357.jpg

Amazing Dave,

Any ideas how the Grand Cross orders and bars were mounted? Curious how the mounting keeps the weight of the badges and medals from stressing the ribbon drapes and sashes, and the mini medal cases as well....really amazing displays

I can tell you in the one particular case that we had open, the medals were secured by a piece of heavy steel coathanger wire (it wasn't coathanger wire, but you get the point). The top of the award was secured at the top of the hanger, and the bottom of the medal (or the hanging loop) was secured by a hook on the bottom of said wire. Sounds confusing, but makes sense and the medal isn't hanging on the ribbon...

And below is the last of the photos!

IMG-20131209-00356.jpg

Most impressive. Thanks for showing these photos. These ought to make some serious medal collectors drool just a bit!

Thanks Lee! Both museums are open to the public, but the Naval War College museum is tougher to get into for the gen-pop due to the restrictions getting on base. The USNA museum can be walked to from the main gate without issue.

I like the Veterans Organizations display, but they show a member's badger for the Sons of the American Revolution - which isn't a veterans organization; the SAR is composed of lineal descendants of Patriots who served or rendered aid during the war. Looks like they might also have a badger for the sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War...same thing.

Mark sends

(and no, I don't know who the above uniform belonged to...)

4 Star with a Silver Lifesaving Medal. That would have been Chester's.

Really enjoyed all the photos, Dave!

4 Star with a Silver Lifesaving Medal. That would have been Chester's.

Really enjoyed all the photos, Dave!

Thanks Kurt! I did just check and the uniform belonged to Admiral Connolly though...

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I was working with the curator of the Naval War College museum and I told him that I could really enjoy being in his position, as I'd start contacting all the War College graduates and their families and ask for uniforms and medals for the museum. I could amass the most amazing museum of flag and general officer uniforms and medals in the world, without a doubt. Unfortunately, he told me, that as a gov't employee, he's forbidden to solicit "gifts" (even if for the museum) and even if someone wished to donate the items to the museum, he's forbidden to accept gifts of over $20 in value...e.g. he couldn't accept anything even if people offered to donate it. Ouch. What a disservice some of the regulations have on preserving our nation's history (because yes, even though some of these guys are famous, their stuff still ends up going in the trash or just "getting lost" over time...) :(

Dave

teufelhunde.ret

@ Dave, I've read Cpl Hugh Puvis (MofH) who captured the Korean colors in 1871 while serving aboard the USS Alaska, and served as the Academy Armorer for 35 years is buried in St Anne's cemetery and his MofH and the Korean colors are on display. True?