WWII Harley WLA Sub-zero starting & equipment manual

oldabewla

When I saw this on eBay I had to have it! This super rare little manual was made up by Harley-Davidson in 1943 and supplied to the US Army with the equipment shown on the front page for the use of starting the WLA's in the sub zero weather.
This very interesting manual shows how to install a valve into the fuel tank and fill the torch with gasoline and warn up the engine with the torch! also install parts in the carburetor all in sub zero temps! them guys had talent back then.
I was wondering if anyone here know what model of blow torch is pictured in the manual? I seen other military blow torches but this has a oval fuel tank body and not round like most. I would like to find the torch to go with the manual.
When I see this manual I think of all the GI's that served in The Battle of the Bulge.
Craig

post-7997-0-79472100-1387336065.jpg

post-7997-0-31660700-1387336505.jpg

My father-in-law was a motorcycle cop. He was working a car accident when it was well below zero ans some well meaning citizen shut off his Harley. It had to sit in the Police garage a couple days before it would start. His neighbor had a gas station on his beat and he would park in the service bay until he got a call.

Hey OZ & RC,

Thank for the great story 3rd herd. I never knew they had made these up for other military vehicles in the arsenals? now we know most likely some of the WLA's had carried torches in the saddle bags?

I don't live too far from the Harley Davidson museum and when I went to see the WLA display they don't have any WWII WLA, WLC or XA paper material and never saved any of it from WWII.
I also have a rare shipping invoice sheet from WWII when Harley shipped parts to the US Army which was a shipment of 50 crated engines and other larger parts shipped. I found this in a WWII WLA service manual purchased off ebay a bonus surprise!
Craig

this is a really neat find---now imagine what it's like to ride a tankshift harley in the snow. chaining up a motor cycle tire is no easy task. the leg shields and the winter windshield were helpful, but i remember when harley dealers sold a lap robe meant to be strapped on over your leathers to help cut the cold. when armando magri had the harley shop in sacramento, he would occasionally get a group of riders together and go for a snow run up towards either reno or lake tahoe. he would take his sidecar rig on these trips. in the back of his shop, he had a picture of a troop of WLA riders, all posed and looking toward the camera, wearing 45's in a shoulder holster, and holding their thompson's with the butt tucked in to their waist, and the barrel pointed skyward. it was a great pic. ernie and armando magri were both WW2 vets.

Here's my blow torch with Signal Corps marking TL-130. I repainted it long ago. There would have been a decal inside of that shield the with makers data.

MVC-012S.JPG

Robinb,

Thanks for pointing out that the torch is marked TL-130 I never knew that!

I found out that the blow torches are made by Clayton & Lambert and also believe the original military torches have red handles with a sliver body. Your looks real nice in the OD green! I need to get one for these for my lonely WLA paper data.

Craig

This is great stuff I have been a Harley mechanic since 1989 and don’t ever slow down to look at the new stuff anymore but would like to find one of these.

oldabewla since you are close to the H-D museum have you ever been to the military vehicle museum just over the Illinois border on 294 they have a couple WLA.s there.

I hope you don't mind I am adding a photo of the last WLA related item I still have and wont part with just thought you might like it.

post-6705-0-38583700-1387596297.jpg

Hey Kevin H,

I'm in the very SE corner of MN. I never been to military vehicle museum but I'll have to check it out?? Very nice WLA spark plug set !!! I'm still looking for a spark plug box for my spare WLA parts kit.

I'm a tool & die maker in La crosse Wisconsin the same place were S&S is located. I have built some new molds & dies for HD in the shop I work for before.

I was thinking of making copies up for guys of some of my rare WLA paper.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Johan,

Your web site is great learning tool for any WWII WLA WLC or XA owner or enthusiast that wants to learn more about this part of WWII Harley Davidson Military motorcycle history. Keep up the great work and I'll keep up the search for more rare paper related items or finds.

Craig