German Helmet From Local Estate

tigerfan

I acquired this helmet last week from a local veterans estate. He was in the 16th armored division. We looked but couldn't find the capture paper for this one.

post-2609-0-17094700-1387329140.jpg

post-2609-0-04167500-1387329157.jpg

USCapturephotos

Oh nice score. I recently got a nice M40 repaint from the family of a medic with the 2nd Infantry division. Still waiting for more details from the family about his exact regiment and such.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Yeah definitely an M 42 but I wondered about the yellowed decal if it was just a Heer with patina or possibly a

Kriegsmarine.

Paul

It's an M42 alright. Most Herr decals that turn yellow do so because of the lacquer coating that a large quantity received from the factory as a protective coating. It's the lacquer that turns. I see no evidence from the picture that there is lacquer. Most of the time you will see a very small shinny outline around the decal. Also some Kriegsmarine decals are put on in 2 layers. I would get a magnifying glass and check also. If this is a Kriegsmarine helmet, it would be a big score! I sure wish I came across it! :)

David

I have a very nice M35 Kriegsmarine in my collection, but I don't think the one here is a Kriegs. The Kriegsmarine decal should be a nice, deep golden color. There shouldn't be much debate about what it is.

In my opinion, this is a very nice looking Heer helmet, with a decal that has toned over the years.

The M-42 that started this post has an Army decal.

These decals were put on with shellac that often turns them a shade of gold.

But it is a pale gold and not the rich gold of a KM one.

I have put them side by side for a comparison.

Take note of it so you don't make a mistake that will cost you $ because the KM is worth more.

post-51189-0-09786100-1387397049.jpg

post-51189-0-79369500-1387397074.jpg

Resembles one I got from a 2nd Armored man's belongings, though a little nicer. I don't o much with Third Reich stuff, but man, their helmets (and those from WWI) sure are neato.

Manchu Warrior

This is a Heer helmet that I have that you can compare it to. I found the helmet in an attic of an old house I lived in when I was a kid. It came with the bullet hole and I wish I could say that I knew the history of the helmet.

post-1412-0-34698900-1387464253.jpg

Once you have seen a KM in hand there is no way you can miss that dark golden color. This is a toned Heer. Great looking Helmet by the way.

Congrats,

Sal