WWII USMC KIA Purple Heart - Battle Of Okinawa - 1st Marine Division

HistoryNut

I recently acquired this Purple Heart named to USMC Private Steve Shutak, 992931. Private Shutak was a member of B Company, 32nd Replacement Draft, 1st Marine Division. He was KIA 2 June 1945. Based on his unit and date of death, he was likely killed during Operation Iceberg, Battle of Okinawa. I am ordering his records, so hopefully I will get some definitive information.

Based on his service number, 992931, he was a drafted Marine. He entered service in July 1944. He was only 19 yrs, 48 days old when he was KIA. REST IN PEACE PRIVATE STEVE SHUTAK.

Some may argue that compared to earlier engraved USMC Purple Hearts this engraving is plain; however, I think it is one of the most beautifully engraved Purple Hearts I have seen.

post-13256-0-43949200-1387320524.jpg

post-13256-0-92257400-1387320533.jpg

post-13256-0-60969600-1387320546.jpg

Beautiful heart, the engraving is one of the nicest that I have seen. It is interesting to see this type of engraving on an Okinawa KIA. RIP Pvt. Shutak

Philip

Wharfmaster,

Good question! Hopefully there is someone that can answer you...I was basing my statement regarding his draft status on his service number. I had read somewhere that Marine Corps service numbers starting 9XXXXX were assigned to those drafted through the Selective Service.

I have ordered his service records, so maybe when they arrive I will know for sure whether he joined or was drafted.

Hopefully this photo clearly shows the engraving. Thanks for all the comments.

post-13256-0-29415700-1387329670.jpg

Raidercollector

First time I ever seen this type of engraving on a late Marine heart. I own a lot of marine hearts and none look like this one at all. ,This is new to me. This could be a privately engraved one by a jeweler during wartime. I could be wrong.Just my thoughts, I,m sure others will chim in on this one. Or this is a newly discovered hand.But I like it .

Nick

Different for late war usmc ? Looks like the engraver went sideways on the name a bit and covered his mistake with the flourishes . That's my opinion ? I like it though I think its period done .

Just wanted to post a quick update after receiving this forever young Marine's service record. He enlisted on 21 Jul 44; his record show him as USMC - SS-V. Private Shutak was KIA on 9 June 45 at Okinawa Shima, Ryukyu Islands. He died from Gun Shot Wound (GSW) to the stomach; all other details unknown. He "participated in operations with the First Marine Division against enemy (Japanese) forces at Okinawa Shima, Ryukyu Islands from 1 Apr 45 to 9 Jun 45". At the time of his death he was assigned to Company I, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Division. He was originally interred at the 96th Army Division Cemetery, Okinawa but later returned home to Pennsylvania at the request of his mother.

Pvt Steve Shutak's father was born in Russia and his mother Czechoslovakia.

post-13256-0-13977600-1387840007.jpg

post-13256-0-63770100-1387840023.jpg

post-13256-0-70545200-1387840042.jpg

This is beautiful, what a fine tribute to this Marine. It couldn't be in better care, the history of this honored Veteran you have reunited with the medal is incredible!

Thank you for sharing this with us. RIP Marine.

Best wishes to you,

Joe

• 1 month later...

I did it very interesting that his unit is listed as a replacement company. I always thought replacements would arrive in the battle zone and be assigned to established units that were already engaged in the fighting.

• 2 years later...

I ran across this one while searching for another engraving style. This is the first time I've ever seen this engraving hand, but I'm very confident it's 100% right. I have seen a couple of early style engravings like this for Okinawa and Iwo Jima, so they aren't impossible...just very uncommon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a similarly engraved Type 2 PH to a Marine KIA in Okinawa. Coincidence? Attached is a pic. I plan on posting the whole file soon

post-6147-0-88594100-1484081326.jpg

I'm 99% confident that my great Uncle was in the same Co. company (Co I, 3rd Bn, 1 Marine Reg, 1st Marine Div.) as Pvt. Shutak. I don't know about being a replacement Company but I have done some extensive research on their activities on Okinawa. I can tell you that they were on reserve the day of invasion and joined the rest of battalion the next day on the north side of the Island. I can only wonder if he and my great uncle knew each other.

Very cool engraving style. Had one in my collection close to that but not as good. Thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing the write up on the Varner PH that WW1 Collector has!

Guv