Captured Japanese Helmet With Tag & Paper

tigerfan

USCapturephotos

I especially love the tag with it! I have an original booklet giving GI's pointers on picking up souvenirs in the Pacific.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

that's awesome!

was the star on the front removed?

-Brian

There is no star but at a close look it appears it was never put on. No paint loss or scratches around the slot or where it would have rubbed the shell.

It amazes me that Japanese helmets are so hard to find. I've been looking for one forever since my dad was in the Pacific from 1942 to 1946. When you see a nice one they're quite pricey. I suppose it was because so many fewer US troops fought in the Pacific than in the European theater. I thought I was looking at a star on the far right of the 1st photo but I took a 2nd look when you said there was no star.

It amazes me that Japanese helmets are so hard to find. I've been looking for one forever since my dad was in the Pacific from 1942 to 1946. When you see a nice one they're quite pricey. I suppose it was because so many fewer US troops fought in the Pacific than in the European theater. I thought I was looking at a star on the far right of the 1st photo but I took a 2nd look when you said there was no star.

I've heard that Japanese collectors came to the US in the 80s and sucked up a lot of the stuff that PTO GIs had brought back. Apparently German stuff was all the rage at the time so Japanese stuff was cheap.

Back in the 1970's I paid $10 for a Japanese helmet with the star removed. Later a dealer bought one with a star and took the star off and sold it to me for $10 and the paint matched perfectly. He needed a helmet to put an anchor on. The Japanese stuff was cheaper but not as common as German.

I swear I can see the outline of a star in one of the pics?

Or is it some light playing a trick on me?

Still a nice helmet either way but it sure seems the star was removed at some point.. albeit very carefully.

-Brian