M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife comparing originals to your “suspect” knife thread

militariaone

Just saw this on eBay and was about to message SKIPH. Knife and scabbard definitely repro. Thanks for posting.

militariaone

Greetings all,

Today's entry, a Japanese copy listed in the original category, which the seller indicates "this is not a Japanese copy." Bonus, "the original sheath is in nice condition and has the 2 tabs on the side of the sheath." Yes, the scabbard is a modern reproduction as well. At least this seller is fully embracing their convictions by stating the knife is "original." Most of these reproduction sold as original types add some obligatory "I'm no expert judge for yourself" blurb in their item's description. By indicating the knife is specifically not of Japanese origin, this seller is basically indicating they know exactly what they are doing. You can't make this stuff up. :dry:

Best,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-55485800-1555351073_thumb.jpg

So much great information in this thread.

I just got one of these that has had the knuckles removed so I came here to see what I've got. I'll take some pics and post them up, in case they will be useful to anyone.

militariaone

So much great information in this thread.

I just got one of these that has had the knuckles removed so I came here to see what I've got. I'll take some pics and post them up, in case they will be useful to anyone.

Greetings,

Yes, please feel free to add any relevant content. :)

Best,

V/r Lance

• 6 months later...

Greetings all,

Someone is about to make an expensive mistake.https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/77194901_ww1-1918-mark-i-trench-knife-lf-and-c-wscabbard This is the same new made style discussed on post #93 of this thread. Spend some time on this and other militaria forums and you won't have to learn an original from a reproduction the hard way.

Best,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-24633100-1572008226_thumb.jpg

Greetings all,

Someone is about to make an expensive mistake.https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/77194901_ww1-1918-mark-i-trench-knife-lf-and-c-wscabbard This is the same new made style discussed on post #93 of this thread. Spend some time on this and other militaria forums and you won't have to learn an original from a reproduction the hard way.

Best,

V/r Lance

Sold for $775.00. Ouch!

Best,

V/r Lance

• 1 year later...
Magnum Power

Hi,

I've been searching for a nice 1918 MKI for a long time.

Someone has this one for sale and send me some pics.

I have Greg Aloisio's book, I had read a lot of threads on different boards, but I'm still confused, and not sure about some details about this one.

What's your opinion?

Genuine or not (and why?)

Thank you.

TK1918a.jpg

TK1918b.jpg

• 2 years later...
militariaone
On 5/4/2021 at 4:49 AM, Magnum Power said:

Hi,

I've been searching for a nice 1918 MKI for a long time.

Someone has this one for sale and send me some pics.

I have Greg Aloisio's book, I had read a lot of threads on different boards, but I'm still confused, and not sure about some details about this one.

What's your opinion?

Genuine or not (and why?)

Thank you.

TK1918a.jpg

TK1918b.jpg

Greetings,

Have not checked this thread for a while, so I do apologize for my tardy response. Blade is wrong, if you look at how the blade is ground just above the ricasso, it doesn't quite match up to the way an original's were finished. Also, the blade possesses a strange swell to its over all shape. With the spate of "parts" MK. I knives available today, once I view a part on a knife's assembly is off or not quite right, I cease further evaluation as it starts to become a bit of a guessing game. Could this set be entirely real, just modified/used of course it could, but if it is my money, I'd pass on it due to the blade just being a just bit off for my comfort level.

Best,

V/r Lance

militariaone

Greetings all,

Even solid auction houses get it wrong occasionally, here's an aged reproduction Au Lion variant, paired with an aged reproduction scabbard currently on auction. Note the wrong shaped ricasso, and lack of crimping marks on the scabbard. The Au Lion's logo stamp on the reproduction is not a too bad rendering either. Better quality reproductions are currently being manufactured, when artificially aged and combined with other reproduction (or wholly original) parts they can morph into something, which is pretty convincing. 

Screenshot.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

militariaone
On 5/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, militariaone said:

Greetings all,

Even solid auction houses get it wrong occasionally, here's an aged reproduction Au Lion variant, paired with an aged reproduction scabbard currently on auction. Note the wrong shaped ricasso, and lack of crimping marks on the scabbard. The Au Lion's logo stamp on the reproduction is not a too bad rendering either. Better quality reproductions are currently being manufactured, when artificially aged and combined with other reproduction (or wholly original) parts they can morph into something, which is pretty convincing. 

Screenshot.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

This knife sold for $1300.00😒

Hello Lance,

I saw this one also, thanks to your previous articles on here I came to the same conclusion. This is usually a great Auction House to work with. Goes to show you never know! I hope all is well.

Regards,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am a neophyte to collecting and identifying but wanted to share this LF&C knife that I recently came across. This thread has been helpful to learn and I look forward to future discussions and examples. Thank you!

1918 1.jpg

1918 2.jpg

1918 3.jpg

1918 4.jpg

Colonelhogan

Hey everyone, 

my friend gifted me this knife and would opinions. I read the guide and as he told me its original and I believe it to be. But a second thought would be cool452B7FDD-A9AF-4D02-88EB-4F6A4F20884A.jpeg.e7b06cfe3cbf702f3e01582cd1f5e51e.jpegAD5149FB-FEA7-4001-9A3D-4E6EE9D8E3E7.jpeg.071707a2507fab58cf729ae9884113cc.jpeg67B70AB3-B711-4CFB-8E51-170301646058.jpeg.1f4fceb83219678f9d9f69df2b24e528.jpeg290B9C4A-03B1-4F64-8699-1343778C8A23.jpeg.9970036dbaa97c6e17ec41701e0d63b2.jpegD74476EA-AC5D-47AA-9B3B-085CA6AE52F8.jpeg.4499b892bdfcefdfc7acff1d1946fe88.jpeg6E496FD2-7260-4843-9D8C-3B3DE1D4D310.jpeg.40e0e996a29a0327fe4d7594ab385215.jpeg

militariaone
On 7/31/2023 at 5:28 PM, Colonelhogan said:

Hey everyone, 

my friend gifted me this knife and would opinions. I read the guide and as he told me its original and I believe it to be. But a second thought would be cool.

The set is right as rain/wholly original.👍

Best,

V/r Lance

1 hour ago, militariaone said:

The set is right as rain/wholly original.👍

Best,

V/r Lance

I agree...Only flaw being it is missing a scabbard prong....Very nice piece....Bodes

• 2 months later...

@militariaone (Lance)

I had forgotten how great this thread is!

Over on the Facebook M1918 Group, those guys seem to be constantly mis-IDing good knives for bad and bad knives for good...  It is quite discouraging, especially since all the information they need to be correct is right here. SMH.

I believe I am going to start posting links there pointing back to this thread.

Thanks again!

Chris

• 1 month later...
Just Sold Auctions

Had a consigner drop this off the other day for  auction - he believes it to be authentic but I need more opinions before listing it as such. 

PhotoRoom_20231210_111120.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110523.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_111022.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110945.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110800.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110556.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110645.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110620.jpeg

PhotoRoom_20231210_110741.jpeg

18 hours ago, Just Sold Auctions said:

Had a consigner drop this off the other day for  auction - he believes it to be authentic but I need more opinions before listing it as such. 

Knife & Scabbard possess all the characteristics of an original Mk. I Trench Knife. I don't view any issues or have any concerns of originality. 

Best,

V/r Lance

18 hours ago, Just Sold Auctions said:

Hey Militariaone, I have the opportunity to buy this Trench knife which appears to be original. I only have these photos. But would like your opinion. I am not sure if the original scabbard is with it. It does have this leather sheath that I have never seen before. What is your opinion on the leather sheath also? 

20231214_212641.jpg

20231214_212702.jpg

20231214_212728.jpg

The sheath looks like a modified US Army Signal Corps TE-33 Tool Kit consisting of a CS-34 Leather Pouch, TL-29 Pocket Knife and TL-13 Pliers. I can not tell what it is attached to to hold the knife.   

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 7.19.26 AM.png

TE332.jpeg

4 hours ago, opseccc said:

The sheath looks like a modified US Army Signal Corps TE-33 Tool Kit consisting of a CS-34 Leather Pouch, TL-29 Pocket Knife and TL-13 Pliers. I can not tell what it is attached to to hold the knife.   

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 7.19.26 AM.png

TE332.jpeg

That could be it. I got another photo here.

20231215_121031.jpg

I believe the CS-34 Leather Pouch is in your pictures and has a M2 Demo Crimper tool with, what looks like a US military issue pocket knife.  I am curious what the back side of the sheath in your pictures looks like. 

Greetings John,

Apologies for being late to the show. The knife itself from what I can view looks fine (original) to me. I would rather view straight on images in order to view the knife's overall proportions, but on balance from what I can view of it no red flags are visible. 

Wholly agree with Opseccc's observations on the origins of the sheath/lineman's tool combo. I have not viewed that exact sheath's combination before and would also love to see the back of the sheath for curiosity's sake. Whomever created this conversion took what was already a heavy/clunky knife and added significantly to its carry weight as when worn, it would be a beast tugging at whatever style belt it was made to fit. In any case, still an interesting combination, just a bear to carry if you were walking any distance.   

Best,

V/r Lance