M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife comparing originals to your “suspect” knife thread

militariaone

Backtheattack

Thank`s for this very interesting thread. Noticed some of this knifes in museums in the Bulge, but had never a chance to hold one in my hands because they are forbidden here in Germany.

Thank`s for this very interesting thread. Noticed some of this knifes in museums in the Bulge, but had never a chance to hold one in my hands because they are forbidden here in Germany.

I remember a few years ago whilst visiting the Bastogne Historical Center (prior to its refurbishment) seeing a M1918 Mk. Trench Knife in one of their displays. When I got closer I could see it was a rare H. D. & S. variant. At the time I did not own one and to me it was the neatest thing in the museum. And that was a museum filled with vehicles, period uniforms, equipment, and of course weapons. Thank you, for bringing back some fond memories.

Regards,
Lance

Backtheattack

Hello Lance!

Checked my old pictures from my trip to Bastogne in 2002 and I think you talk about this puppet:

post-104851-0-10461700-1391694497.jpg

Here is another one at La Gleize, 2002.

post-104851-0-88476400-1391694545.jpg

Sorry I have no better pics with more details. Like the museums in the Ardennes, a lot of US staff there.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Another repro variant on the bay. Not a particularly well done one, but worthy to post for its entertainment value.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-60471900-1392694381.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Charles1966

Thank you for your opinion on John121 and his variant of the Au Lion. I too have this one and I'm happy to see another one with the correct scabbard. Mine came with a L.F&C scabbard and well executed field adaptation made from a Mills 1915 belt (Will post pics). When I buy something I rely heavily on my own experience, the experience of other fellow travelers and little thing I like to call my (vampire alert). If it feels wrong, it most likely is... Anyhow, thank you for the lesson on the MK1. Great read!

militariaone

Thank you for your opinion on John121 and his variant of the Au Lion. I too have this one and I'm happy to see another one with the correct scabbard. Mine came with a L.F&C scabbard and well executed field adaptation made from a Mills 1915 belt (Will post pics). When I buy something I rely heavily on my own experience, the experience of other fellow travelers and little thing I like to call my (vampire alert). If it feels wrong, it most likely is... Anyhow, thank you for the lesson on the MK1. Great read!

Greetings Charles,

I have one of the open “9” Au Lions getting mailed to me today, I will post some reference pictures of it when it arrives. Yes, please feel free to post your knife as well… the more the merrier. I would not have known of the open “9” Au Lion variant if John121 had not pointed it out to me. I’m always learning something new and most fortunately, I always get more out any reference thread I start than the effort it took to create it.

Happy you enjoyed the thread. I have noticed a drop off in requests to confirm the ID of these types of knives since I created it, so this thread appears to be doing exactly what I originally intended it to do.

Regards,

Lance

Lance- Had to check out my Au Lion. Now I get the "open 9", but what is significance? Is it a rarity? My Au LIon has the two handle grooves. Please enlighten. SKIP

AU LION MK1 001.jpg

militariaone

Lance- Had to check out my Au Lion. Now I get the "open 9", but what is significance? Is it a rarity? My Au LIon has the two handle grooves. Please enlighten. SKIP

No significance whatsoever, Skip. Just a variant I was unaware of until John121 pointed it out and nothing more. As far as rarity, I really don't know. Considering John 121 created the awareness (to me) mid January of this year and I have seen three since then (purchased one of them), I would suspect they are no more "rare" than any other Au Lion variants except for the uber-rare engraved presentation variant we discussed at this year's SoS. Now, I suppose the question is... is there both a grooved and un-grooved open "9" variant? The one John121 posted appears to be un-grooved, whereas the one I've purchase appears to be grooved. I say appears, because the pictures for my open "9" were terrible (blurry), so all will be revealed when it gets to me on (fingers crossed) this coming Tuesday. Hell, the open "9" I saw in the photos may just be defects in the picture... I got it at decent price so I won't complain either way.

Cheers,

Lance

militariaone

Greetings all,

As discussed here's my latest acquisition a grooved open number "9" variant. If you look at a similar knife on post #23 of this thread you can just barely make out what appears to be a groove/ridge on that example's handle too. Now I have to keep my eyes open to see if there is an un-grooved open number "9" variant... ya never know with these things.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-08361900-1395161542.jpg

Hey Lance and everyone who is interested in M1918 Mark 1 knives. In this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/513079925382798/

I have found Henry Disston & Sons M1918 Mark 1 for sell. But... I am prety sure it is the fake but the seller not. So what do you think?

The seller described it:

WW1 fighting knife . The scabbard has been field modified from a M8 scabbard. On the knife handle is a crows foot with WD marked on it . Must have been re issued to the British at one time ? I have had this for about 30 years but thinning collection out now . £250

w9ff.jpg

10c1.jpg

ux3l.jpg

militariaone

Hey Lance and everyone who is interested in M1918 Mark 1 knives. In this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/513079925382798/

I have found Henry Disston & Sons M1918 Mark 1 for sell. But... I am prety sure it is the fake but the seller not. So what do you think?

The seller described it:

WW1 fighting knife . The scabbard has been field modified from a M8 scabbard. On the knife handle is a crows foot with WD marked on it . Must have been re issued to the British at one time ? I have had this for about 30 years but thinning collection out now . £250

w9ff.jpg

10c1.jpg

ux3l.jpg

Greetings Pavel,

Unfortunately, you are correct it is a reproduction. Please, review the comparison photo of the manufacture’s fonts below. The original’s photo comes from here http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/amewm_23.htm A quick comparison between the two knives, clearly shows major differences in the spacing of the “U. S.” Besides the bogus British War Department (“WD”) acceptance crow’s foot, broad arrow head, pheon marking and the train-wreck going on at the blade’s ricasso, the goof on the manufacturer’s markings is more than enough to make me scream “run awaaaaaay” from this particular offering. It does have a nice patina though. For what it’s worth, I would definitely say the scabbard is original. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-14713400-1395452652.jpg

Thanks a lot, Lance.

I compared it with Cole´s, Silvey´s and Trzaska´s photos so I was sure it was knock off. I posted this thread to the facebook to warn some non-educated buyer.

Yes, the scabbard is original but what I know, the WD marking is late post war from 60s - 70s.

militariaone

Had it been legit, 250 GBP would have been an awesome price. You are very welcome Pavel, sounds like you already did the footwork to determine it was not "right."

Keep Hunting!

Lance

• 2 weeks later...
militariaone

Greetings Oliver,

I have viewed other similar (but not the exact same) modifications of L.F. & C. scabbards (the original belt mounting pins are just too flimsy to hold up to prolonged use and break off quite easily). Whether it is a contemporary modification (field or otherwise), I would only be guessing and with no solid (read, irrefutable) information to back it up, I 'd rather not engage in conjecture. That said, whoever did the modification did a cracking good job of it.

The scabbard’s modification makes it appear more like the original scabbard design of the M1918 Mk. I’s French predecessor’s the Couteaux Poignard Mle1916 “Knife Dagger Model 1916” scabbard. See the scabbard indicated by the white arrow in the below picture. No, the blades are not interchangeable in the two scabbards pictured.

Thank you, for taking the time to post the knife's pictures.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-77979200-1396573652.jpg

militariaone

Greetings Oliver,

The general consensus amongst collectors (i.e. reference books & websites), is that the American made M1918 Mk.Is did not make it over into theater before WWI ended (perhaps the French made Au Lion variants did). All known photographic evidence showing Soldiers with armed with these knives appears to be post armistice and dated during the occupation.

Perhaps, the scabbard is a WW2 repair with last four numbers of the owners Army Serial Number (ASN) on the knife's handle. I recently sold one with a similar "laundry mark" on it with an unmodified scabbard. The only difference is the laundry mark has the service member’s last name’s initial first in front of the ASN’s last four digits. This was a typical means to individually identify a U.S. service members’ equipage during WW2.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-67766800-1396650401.jpg

militariaone

Greetings all,

I Saw this on a French website today. It's an Au Lion variant, in an L.F. & C. scabbard with a wannabe M1910 mounting hook welded to the back. Thought it was weird enough to warrant a post here.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-34478900-1397013799.jpg

militariaone

Greetings all,

Here's a Au Lion reproduction made in Spain. Note the leather washer which just happens to cover the "Spain" stamp. No, this reproduction one would not fool anyone who has held/viewed a real one. But, I could see someone taking the hokey lion marked blade and adding that to an original Au Lion's handle and fooling some.

Regards,

Lance

PIC #1

post-31352-0-70147600-1397951652.jpg