USMC Named 1933 Divisional Badge to a China Marine

Brig

C.J. Brown entered the Marine Corps in August 1929, attending basic training in San Diego. By November, he was in Peiping, China with Headquarters Detachment. In March of 1931, he was in Hawaii with the 117th Company until June, and then sent back to HQ in Peiping. In April of 1932, he was again with the 117 Co in Pearl Harbor for only a month, my guess is he spent his time in Hawaii as a member of the shooting team, or at least competing in intramurals. In Septemner of 32 he moved from HQ to the Rifle Range Detachment in Peiping for 2 months, and then back to the 117 Co in December. In the spring of 33, he was again at Hawaii, likely when he earned this divisional badge, and then back once again to Peiping

In 1934 he returned stateside, serving time at League Island and the Philadelphia Depot of Supplies. His WWII record is very hard to determine, as the rolls jump between him and his son, and it becomes hard to track as both had the same name. It seems he retired around 1955 as a Warrant Officer

101_4032.JPG

They're not easy to find, that's for sure! Have only owned a handful in over a decade of USMC collecting...and only about half of those were named

I've been quite intrigued by these I've found a few in the burial files of deceased Marines from WWI and scanned/photographed them.

Semper Fi

Kevin

I am a long time collector of U.S. Marksmanship Badges and always glad to see the nicely engraved pre-WW2 badges. Following picture is of one out of a group I have. Enjoy.

post-14361-0-03165000-1387342941.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Great pic, this badge is special. McDougal competed every year up to WW2 and he was a member of the winning National USMC team in 1940. Then a LtCol, he was KIA during the Okinawa Campaign. A Trophy is awarded during the All Marine event, in his name was established in 1947