1881 US Pattern Holster Rig

NorwichCadet

Here are some pictures of my Rock Island Arsenal 1881 pattern US holster and pattern 1872 waist belt Belt. I'm not sure if this is a 1st or 2nd model of this holster. The only difference between the two types is the size of the belt loop. Is there a belt loop dimension that would indicate if this is a 1st or 2nd model? Also, does someone have a picture od the appropriate ammo pouch that would be correct with this holster. Yu will note the tongue at the two closure holes is very fragile/weak with cracks. If I reinforced this area with a leather piece discretely glued behind the weak area would the value of this rare holster be reduced? THANKS

post-5639-0-22917700-1387305814.jpg

If I recall correctly, there were two different revolvers issued during this era -- the M1873 Colt Single Action 'Peacemaker' and another -- S&W Schofield (sic). The two holes in the flap allowed one holster design to be used for both.

Certainly the two holes would have been a weak point. Personally I would think any leather reinforcement added in service would prove how soldiers solved the cracking problem.

(How often have we said "If it could only talk"? -- well, if it is reinforced, it is talking to you!)

G