Were EGA's ever issued to men not in the Marines?

mattevh

I have been trying to do some research on my great grandfather's service during WWI. I came across an EGA that looks to be WWI era that my grandma had framed. He was part of the 33rd division, 130th Infantry, A Co. I'm trying to figure out why he would have one if he was part of the Army and not the Marines. Any ideas?

A little off topic, the only medal I have been able to find is his purple heart. Am I mistaken that everyone should have gotten a victory medal? He passed away in '42. Could it be that he just didn't receive it before his death?

Thank You

teufelhunde.ret

He may have traded with a Marine at the time for the emblem? Perhaps it belonged to another family member who served in the Corps?

Yes he would have rec'd the Vic medal for his service, likely mailed to him after discharge, unless he served occupation duty?

Hello,

Navy Corpsmen attached to the Corps were supposed to wear EGA's when issued forest green uniforms ... but it's the only case I know.

You're grandfather possibly traded something for this EGA ?

E

I suspect someone in your great-grandfather's generation was a Marine, perhaps one of his brothers or brothers-in-law.

The best EGA's I found in the past few years were WWI made-in-France pieces from the estate of a father and son who were both in the Army, collectively during the Indian Wars, Span-Am War, Philippine Moros wars, Mexican Border Expedition and WWI. Never did find out where the Marine items came from, but it was likely some anonymous family member.

Corpsman and Chaplains attached to USMC units falling under USMC regs can wear EGA's

Also, civilian members of the Band are authorized to wear EGA's

My guess is he picked it up in trade, as well