I picked this up quite a few years ago and have wondered about its origins. Its pattern is that of a 1902 tunic. The lieutenants bars and the Cuban occupation ribbon were on it when purchased. The collar brass was added from what I had available. It is of a lighter weight material than most I've handled. There is no evidence of a makers tag ever applied. Also under the left breast pocket flap there is a partial crest visible in the shape of a wreath. Below it in a curve is the word REGISTERED. My knowledge of uniforms is limited. If there is anyone out there that could shed any light on the origins of this tunic I would appreciate the input.

Best, George

post-2782-0-07440100-1387167497.jpg

post-2782-0-11038900-1387167437.jpg

US Victory Museum

Dear George:

That is a 1906 pattern blouse.

The uniform that came before this, the 1904 spec. 688 had an open falling collar, and the uniform

that came afterwards 1909 spec 1038 was olive drab, as opposed to khaki. The 1906 pattern can

be either spec 815 (plain collar), or spec 850 (lined collar). Officers blouses didn't have sleeve

braids until sometime in 1907; however, the presence of that wreath logo suggests that since this

is a private purchase item, it is likely intended for purchase by officers, who as you know were

obligated to purchase their own uniforms, unlike enlisted men who were issued theirs.

P.S.

I love those early pattern large 2" size insignia.

There is no reason that an officer couldn't wear this older style insignia removed from a previous

uniform; however, by this time, the 1½" insignia were current. I wouldn't change those for the

world; they look gorgeous!

Msn

atb is correct about officer vs. EM collar brass. Regimental EM's (senior NCO's) would have worn insignia without company letters, but that's it, I think.

G

• 8 months later...

A very nice coat, but the insignia have been added incorrectly. The 7th Cav. is for enlisted men and the small shirt size Lt. bars did were not authorized until the end of ww1.

CB

• 3 years later...
Retired Army Noncom

This thread reaches into another thread I just inquired about. I can't see from the photo if this tunic has officer cuff braids and being a M1902, 1906 pattern and without officer cuff braid, the collar insignias could be correct designating this is a enlisted tunic. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Thanks

Thanks for all of the input and comments on this tunic. It was purchased by me just as you see it pictured with the campaign ribbon collar brass and Lt. bars. The are no braids on the cuffs. Thanks again for the informative comments.

Best George