IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Had them send me more pics. They aren't great but that sure doesn't look like a WWII hallmark. Am I correct? Not looking for a Meyers land mine but was looking at the uniform. Add the wide opening pin and...

It is surprising to me(well, not really) how many dealer's "original" groupings have replacement wings with repops or post war versions while these same dealers have loose hallmarked wings for sale. 

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

I think the photos confirm that this is not a WWII vintage wing.  More than likely someone used a restrike of an observer wing and mated it with the caduceus and then used that to enhance a uniform.  At best, the brass and standard SSI patch of an AAF office 4 pocket jacket is about a 35-50$ object.  Maybe a slight premium if it had solid provenance linking it to a medical officer/flight surgeon.  A GOOD vintage USAAF flight surgeon (depending on maker) would sell in the 150-300$ range on ebay (but closer to the lower end now a days).  Again, you could add a small premium if you had solid provenance to do with the wing or uniform.

So, if I had to guess, there is nothing telling me that this isn't a humped up uniform that someone tried to make more valuable.  That is why most collectors/dealers will say add up the components to get an idea.

Pretty much a relatively worthless restrike NS Meyer's pin (you can find a picture of a good one here http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/flightsurgeon/johnsonaafflightsurgeonmeyer.shtml) on a very common uniform...

Sounds about right and the way many uniforms are found - built.

Dealer is reputable but who knows where it came from? Don't think I'll say anything to them.

Appreciate the info. Slowly learning.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Had them send me more pics. They aren't great but that sure doesn't look like a WWII hallmark. Am I correct? Not looking for a Meyers land mine but was looking at the uniform. Add the wide opening pin and...

It is surprising to me(well, not really) how many dealer's "original" groupings have replacement wings with repops or post war versions while these same dealers have loose hallmarked wings for sale. 

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Now as i can see it it doesn't look like the one i saw selling at retail this looks toasted

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thrifter_01

Hey folks, not sure if these are the right place to ask, but I found a 3 inch Naval Aviator wings from the flea market last weekend. I am curious if they real.

20210720_012106.jpg.23e165f8c4a9d3e1020491dd1d90014a.jpg20210720_012124.jpg.9a447388ad7a85bda597ee9030f22020.jpg20210720_011014.jpg.387c71d1e591f50bfe9881bda9703cff.jpg

Yes, honest WWII Naval Aviator Wing Badge.

HH made probably more Aviator wings (and Amico) than any other maker, these probably mid war, since they still have the Imperial mark.

They should be 2 3/4”.

John

10 hours ago, Thrifter_01 said:

Hey folks, not sure if these are the right place to ask, but I found a 3 inch Naval Aviator wings from the flea market last weekend. I am curious if they real.

20210720_012106.jpg.23e165f8c4a9d3e1020491dd1d90014a.jpg20210720_012124.jpg.9a447388ad7a85bda597ee9030f22020.jpg20210720_011014.jpg.387c71d1e591f50bfe9881bda9703cff.jpg

it looks right a real nice one

Picked these two up separately but the back pins seem similar. I liked the NS Meyer because of the raised shield but the black backing makes me think they’re restrikes, the orbers (I think) don’t have the finest detail, so I just wanted to get your opinions!

E13F15AF-4D30-4888-AC61-2D1AF968EB57.jpeg

B0C8AA04-26E7-4C92-886D-2AD1EE4738F1.jpeg

the meyers does look suspicious if the pins are long in which case they do look long, it's not W.W.2 or korean war possible restrike

I would think that the Meyer is definitely Post WWII - Later Korea?  but I don't think it's a re-strike per say. The Order looks nice .

17 hours ago, donaldnol said:

the meyers does look suspicious if the pins are long in which case they do look long, it's not W.W.2 or korean war possible restrike

it does look post korean era

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, pfrost said:

I may be incorrect but I think it may be Charles Polk marked wing (not GP).  But like it was said above, a rare'ish maker of late WWII to more modern insignia. This badge is pretty new and Charles Polk used a number of hallmarks.

Still, I could be incorrect, but that is my sense. So take it with a grain of salt.

well charles polk never thought of this hallmark

On 4/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, dmar836 said:

Assuming a post war wing but what is the mark under sterling?

Dave

dsd (2).jpg

not charles polk, hallmark is G.P. +

• 5 weeks later...

I recently purchased these two wings, one 3 inch and one 2 inch as a set from an antiques dealer. He didn't have any background info on them. Would these be post WW2, Korean era wings? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 inch.jpg

2 inch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...