IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

• 2 weeks later...
WWIIinterviews

Just picked up a different set of glider pilot wings. Looking for opinions on these, authenticity and so on. I believe them to be one of the nicest pair of cloth wings I've seen. Trying to build a collection of GP wings.

post-165362-0-38394500-1582669903_thumb.jpg

post-165362-0-94389600-1582669890_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

They look fine to me, and I have always considered these to be late war to Korea as there is no 9M or 22M shield. Others will disagree I'm sure B)

Thanks Allan. Good news. I am always a little uncertain when it comes to wings.

I have another one I would like to bother you guys with.

What do you say? This wing is on a local auction site.

Regards Kristoffer

post-2812-0-07600200-1587056200.jpg

post-2812-0-61258300-1587056214.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is not one of the "known good" patterns and it doesn't look bad from the front.  A number of these were hand embroidered, but I am left wondering why it would have a backing.

Backings, often, but not always, are there to cover "sins."  Have you black-lighted the badge?

There wouldn't be much reason to put a backing on an enlisted badge.  Made of silk or cotton thread, they were intended to be sewn fast to the uniform and laundered.

Unless you are willing to partially unsew the backing to peek under to see what might be there (such as back threads that glow under black light) this one will just have to live in the "maybe" column and even if it doesn't glow, not being one of the "accepted" patterns, it will always bear questions.

Chris

I'm putting together a small display of WWII related items and I've recently found a badge that I'd like some opinions on.  I think it's in really great shape.  However, after quite a bit of research, I have been unable to find any reliable information pertaining to it's manufacture, applicable time frame, etc.  I'm not even sure if it's legit.

What do you all think?

Also, if you zoom in on the picture of the back, does the 'G' in Sterling look upside down?

Pic 1.jpg

5thwingmarty

If this wing is a full 3-1/4" wide I would say good as well, a nice WWII vintage Walter Lampl wing.

That’s why I ask you all these things.  I would’ve never figured out that the wings were Juarez wings.  That’s pretty cool.

5thwingmarty mentioned something about Walter Lampl.  I’m going look into that right now because that’s something I’ve never heard of.

Thanks for the info you guys!

...much appreciated!

5thwingmarty

Walter Lampl was the actual company that made/sold this pattern of wing.  You can occasionally find them with the Walter Lampl WL hallmark.  These wings are often referred to as Juarez wings as there was a story that the wings were made in Juarez, Mexico.  

From what I can gather, the 'coin silver' Juarez wings were made south of the border.  I do wonder however about the wing design.  Who came up with it first, the Mexican silversmiths or Walter Lampl?  It's a sharp looking wing design.  Nice weight, lots of feathering.

I just received some crew wings to go along with the pilot wings.  The A.E. hallmark is a bit different than what I'm able to find references for.  Should I be concerned or is it possibly an early design?  The aging seems to be quite legit under a loupe.  Here's a picture.

What do you think?

Pic 1.jpg