IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

• 1 month later...

I have an opportunity to buy these wings from the vets daughter. Im pretty sure the air gunner wings are original WWII but Im not so sure about the two air crew wings, especially the one with the hollow back. They also seem fairly shiny although I guess its possible the daughter polished them.

Any thoughts on these wings?

post-1945-0-48267500-1561725907.jpeg

smwinter207

Backs

If these are all from the WWII Vet's daughter, I think it's safe to say these are all WWII.

The hollow back I've seen described as graduation wings.

Also, if you had photos without the clutch backs on, we might be able to see raised platforms that the clutches are adhered.
example:

post-20483-0-89427700-1561737347.png

Thanks! I wasn’t aware that the hollow backs were graduation wings.

I’ll see if I can get some photos with the clutches off.

They are fine. WWII/KW era wings, no problems at all. The gunner wings are likely made by AMCRAFT. The crewmen's wings aren't worth much and aren't faked for the most part.

A good solid "vet-family-provenance" group of wings is very nice. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

They are fine. WWII/KW era wings, no problems at all. The gunner wings are likely made by AMCRAFT. The crewmen's wings aren't worth much and aren't faked for the most part.

A good solid "vet-family-provenance" group of wings is very nice. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Much appreciated! I figured they must be real but I had never seen hollow back wings before.

I'm still a beginner, in need of some help. I've got a few H&H pieces and I've seen many others but I've never seen this hallmark before. Can anybody tell me if it's really an H&H piece?

Thanks

Art

post-168413-0-61792500-1562257889_thumb.jpg

Hello Guys,

What do you think about this pilot wing? I never have one with this MM in the reverse. Is it a real WW2 wing?

Regards,

Schmidt

post-7379-0-66395900-1562757446.jpg

post-7379-0-69715900-1562757454_thumb.jpg

post-7379-0-94123700-1562757464_thumb.jpg

post-7379-0-07802000-1562757472.jpg

I believe that GEMSCO bought up the AMICO dies in the post WWII-KW period. You will even find some dual AMICO/GEMSCO marked wings periodically.

Another hint that they are post WWII is that they have the longer "nail head" clutch back posts and have been electrosoldered--processes that are typically seen in the post WWII wings.

• 1 month later...

Posted Yesterday, 06:22 AM

Hi,

I found this wing on an auction site. Wings are something I have yet to learn a lot more about. So I would like to know more about this one.

Pin back, Sterling maker marked.

Recent reproduction or made in the 20's 30's or 1940's?

Value?

Hoping to get some help with it.

Regards Kristoffer

post-2812-0-35290500-1566315573.jpg

post-2812-0-33651800-1566315585.jpg

post-2812-0-26653100-1566315598.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think that these are Meyer Airship wings based on the little tell on the lower right hand side of the wing. See the circled portion of the photo.

post-5185-0-74902700-1567008409_thumb.jpg

The only thing that throws me with this wing is the size of the Sterling font. I'm used to Meyer using the smaller size font. Other than that it actually looks pretty good to me. Would be interested to hear other's opinions.

Even though the above depicted Airship Pilot badge displays the more accurate cam-stop style pin you want to see on an early Meyer's wing, the "STERLING" mark is much too large for my liking to consider this an authentic original piece. Take a look at www.ww2wings.com and compare it to the original early Meyer's Airship Pilot example posted on that excellent website. Note how the original "sterling" mark is much smaller...

I agree Russ, that's the thing that threw me. Other than the fact that I didn't post the image that I actually drew the circle on to talk about the small vertical hash marks on the lower right of the wing, DOH! So if this is a restrike then they're getting good at the backs because that little vertical line tell and the other tell of the distinctive scallop marks is present on this badge which scares the hell out of me. The pin is easy to fake but I have not seen those other two tells faked before. So if this is a bad wing then they have become much more sophisticated in their faking abilities. See this thread for more discussion on the vertical lines and scallops I'm talking about:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/98247-meyer-airship/?hl=%2Bmeyer+%2Bairship

Russ/Bob,

Do you think this might be a later 1940's strike? Before the dies started to wear out? The Sterling does look like other "known good" Meyer wings I have owned.

It certainly could be. I totally agree with Russ, and you can see that in my first post on this, that the larger Sterling is always scary unless it's on the badges with the full N.S. Meyer, New York and shield mark that most people refer to as the later war mark. They definitely did use that larger font then but you don't see it on these wings. It's the one thing that's throwing me with this wing. If it wasn't for that I would say it's good. But that gives me pause. Anyhow, I'm not in the market for this one but was asked by a fellow collector for my opinion on it so I thought I'd share it here as well. In the end it's just my humble opinion. Another in the never ending tale of "Meyers, real or not?"

Hello Paul,

You certainly raise a valid question... and there were indeed a variety of "sterling" mark sizes used by those companies contracted by Meyers to produce badges during WWII. But it's my understanding the US Army effectively ceased their Airship program by 1937 and relinquished the last of their dirigibles to the US Navy by 1943. There might have been a modest need for US Army Airship Pilot replacement badges through the duration of WWII, but I haven't had the opportunity to handle a known authentic example. Unfortunately, I have seen this same "STERLING" mark on numerous Meyers restrikes. Just my opinion... and subject to change when additional info is revealed. Thanks for stirring the thinking juices!

Russ

I thank all of you for your opinions and help on this wing. I have learned lots from it.

Seems the fakes are getting a lot more detailed.

The bid on this wing is on 40$ right now but I won't do any bidding on it.

Hopefully this will help fellow collectors in the future!

Regards Kristoffer

• 3 months later...

These Luxenberg Pilot wings are currently for sale on eBay. They look fake to me, but would like other opinions. Details on the front and back look soft with a rounded appearance, and the lettering appears worn. The lettering on the pair that i have and other known real examples is clean and sharp. Also the back of mine have what seem to be some die flaws (tiny bumps). What do others on the forum think?

Jeff

post-84402-0-24959200-1576827356_thumb.png

post-84402-0-61891000-1576827379_thumb.png

post-84402-0-38903500-1576827393_thumb.png