IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Your expert thoughts on this one please. Pin looks good and has the finding markers but this is a heavily repopped wing so naturally suspicious...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Patchcollector

Hmm,the restrikes I've seen don't have the "New York" verbiage on them,and the "Sterling" is different,so maybe..?Let's see what the others have to say.

Patchcollector

Here are some sellers pics of an Observer Wing I recently picked up.There are some things about this Wing that I find interesting.It appears to be a Meyers pattern minus any hallmarks on the back.I looked with a magnifying glass and there is no trace that the HM was ground off.The back itself is filled in and smooth to the touch.The pin opens all the way and is rather flimsy,and the entire pin assembly has been rather sloppily affixed(soldered?) to the Wing.

I found an example of a "known reproduction" on the excellent Anaspides.net site.His example and mine have a few differences. Most notably is the "O".The horizontally lined field inside the "O" on mine is domed.Also,the outer circle of the "O" on mine has a rounded appearance as opposed to the flat,coin like appearance of Anaspides' example.

Additionally there are a few minor differences in the Pelicans "mouth" and "eye" and in the feathering which could just be manufacturing differences.

So,what do I have?A Meyer restrike with a few variations,or…?

In addition to the sellers' pics of mine I'm posting the pics from the Anaspides site for comparison.(My Wing photos have the green background)

Also,a link to Anaspides Wing Site where I found the photos:

http://www.anaspides.net/military/aviator_wings.html

First pics are of my Wing

post-13386-0-59081200-1487040214_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-02790600-1487040221_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-81908100-1487040226_thumb.jpg

Iain of Anaspides is a friend of mine from Australia. He is a very nice bloke (as they say). He also used to lurk on the forum a few years back, but I haven't seen him post anything in ages. But I think that his navigator wing (#37) is good, while the lower wing is probably bad. Patchcollector, I suspect that your wing isn't a "reproduction" or "restrike" as much as it is a souvenir wing made for sale at airshows and Army-Navy Surplus stores.

P

Also, if you scroll down, you will see "Dr Evil" AKA... ME! I had just picked up a very very very nice CNAC wing at a local flea, took a selfie and sent it to him... you know, so I could gloat.

Patchcollector

Thank you Patrick,I knew I was taking a chance on it when I got it,but thankfully I did'nt have to pay much for it,as no one seemed to be much interested in it ,which was a concern,but you know,sometimes things "fly under the radar" so to speak,and one gets a good deal,but alas,this time it was'nt to be.

Patchcollector

Also, if you scroll down, you will see "Dr Evil" AKA... ME! I had just picked up a very very very nice CNAC wing at a local flea, took a selfie and sent it to him... you know, so I could gloat.

Yes I could'nt help but notice you sporting the Snidely Whiplash grin ^_^

post-13386-0-84374900-1487058811.jpg

post-13386-0-25555700-1487058816_thumb.jpg

Hmm,the restrikes I've seen don't have the "New York" verbiage on them,and the "Sterling" is different,so maybe..?Let's see what the others have to say.

Thanks for your response, Patchcollector. I let these go in the end as I wasn't 100% convinced.

Good evening,

I have already purchased these wings, just looking for some advice and information. All three are full size. I have no idea what the brass colored wing is.....?

Do they all appear to be authentic? Thank you.

post-163143-0-20608100-1487134000_thumb.jpg

post-163143-0-03011600-1487134001_thumb.jpg

post-163143-0-80029100-1487134001_thumb.jpg

post-163143-0-63077400-1487134002_thumb.jpg

Yes, Number One is a non-military "kids , fashion, souvenir , whatever" piece, the Pilot is late WWII to mid 50's, the Aircrew ( Vietnam era?) is fine, I don't think anyone is faking these (yet)