IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

coldsteel61

Scottie has a nice CBI Observer wing for sell on ebay. Link below and photo attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-CBI-Made-Three-Inch-USAAF-Observer-Wing-Crude-But-Real-/131466278055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9c0034a7

Mason

Thanks Mason,

With patina on the ob and rev but shine on the edges... could be the pics, but it kinda scares me.

Tom

Patchcollector

I have a theatre made Wing that I got from Scotty some time back,it shines like the sun.I'm not sure at what point someone polished it,but you can see your reflection in it.IIRC,it is CBI made.

He is one of a handful of dealers I would buy from without reservation. Although frankly, that is one ugly wing :P and I love CBI stuff !

• 5 weeks later...
Patchcollector

I think that I finally was able to "bag" a Glider Wing.I'm hoping that it is authentic and from the WW2 era,but I'll leave the final say to the more experienced members here.

Comparing it to examples shown on Bob's excellent Wing site,it appears to closely resemble a "Juarez" type.The back has simply "Sterling",and nothing else.Sorry about the image quality,these are the sellers' photos.

Is it a "good" one?

post-13386-0-21115400-1429897903.jpg

post-13386-0-65049300-1429897906.jpg

post-13386-0-50152000-1429897910.jpg

Texas 2/49th

Got these from an old friend, they looked different then the norm. No markings except STERLING, any thoughts ?

post-156444-0-82771200-1429906430.jpg

post-156444-0-30179800-1429906441.jpg

Got these from an old friend, they looked different then the norm. No markings except STERLING, any thoughts ?

Hey Texas,

Your Aerial Gunners badge was produced without a circular target behind the winged projectile. It's still an absolutely legitimate WWII era wing...just a modest variation compared to those made with the target.

Texas 2/49th

Outstanding and thanks, was not sure but they looked old. Had not seen any without the circle behind the winged projectile, figured it was worth a shot.

Patchcollector

they look pretty good to me but it seems they have a drop-in catch like a police badge?

never seen that before.

-Brian

Thanks for the comment Brian.I did some digging around on the Forum and found some photos that appear to have the same look as mine.I'll post a few here.

Also,I found a GREAT thread that discusses the Juarez/Lampl Wings:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21936-ww2-juarez-air-crew-wings;-made-in-mexico/?hl=+mexico%20+lampl%20+wings

So I'm thinking that the Wing I posted is OK.

post-13386-0-81377100-1429920997.jpg

post-13386-0-61543100-1429921036.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
OSUbeliever

I found these Jack Heller wings but am unsure of their authenticity. WWII, post-war, reproduction, or outright fake? Thoughts?

post-129968-0-56376600-1431997769.png

post-129968-0-28200300-1431997777.png

They look fine to me. Unless someone knows better with Heller was active, I woudl think these are circa WWII and up to the 50's.

Patrick

I'm not too sure about this one. . . but suspect it may actually have been made post-WW1 for veterans, reunions or whatever.

Any thoughts?

:huh:

post-4542-0-08878200-1432393818.jpg

:unsure:

Well, it sold for $850. That may not be as much as the seller was hoping to get but it was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. . . unless you were the buyer.

post-4542-0-94855600-1432824101.jpg

Hi Cliff,

What didn't you like about this wing? I thought the bullion work looked pretty good, as it was (generally) comparable to some of the bullion pilot wings I have seen. For example this wing, which is also on a metal plate backing. The patina looks off, but that could be the lighting. Nothing sees to say that this wing looks like it isn't from the WWI era (ie it doesn't seem to be a new fake). IIRC the overall number of balloon companies grew during the war, but were relatively rapidly demobalized and made obsolete after the war, with them all but disappearing sometime in the mid to late 20's?

To me, this wing lacked the "lightness" and gracefullness that I have seen in other WWI-vintage balloon pilot wings. I also found the bullion work to be a little looser and cruder than one would expect from that era... but I'm not sure that precludes this one from being WWI vintage. Still, at the end of the day, this one didn't really "sing" to me and I kind of lost interest.

BTW who do I need to talk to in this outfit to get my own poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

post-1519-0-78396500-1432830915.jpg

Hi Cliff,

What didn't you like about this wing? I thought the bullion work looked pretty good, as it was (generally) comparable to some of the bullion pilot wings I have seen. For example this wing, which is also on a metal plate backing. The patina looks off, but that could be the lighting. Nothing sees to say that this wing looks like it isn't from the WWI era (ie it doesn't seem to be a new fake). IIRC the overall number of balloon companies grew during the war, but were relatively rapidly demobalized and made obsolete after the war, with them all but disappearing sometime in the mid to late 20's?

To me, this wing lacked the "lightness" and gracefullness that I have seen in other WWI-vintage balloon pilot wings. I also found the bullion work to be a little looser and cruder than one would expect from that era... but I'm not sure that precludes this one from being WWI vintage. Still, at the end of the day, this one didn't really "sing" to me and I kind of lost interest.

BTW who do I need to talk to in this outfit to get my own poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

Hello Patrick,

I posted that wing almost a week ago hoping it would provoke some comment from some more advanced collectors of this forum such as yourself before the auction closed but no one did; however, I did notice that none of the more advanced collectors and/or dealers that I am familiar with even attempted to enter a reasonable bid. I have a number of reasons for not trusting it and just one blaring clue is that it was over four inches wide. Could it have possible been made for a South American dictator? Absolutely not but rather than go into more detail lets just say that as friends we agree to disagree.

Oh, the term, "

Oh about the term, "a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." I don't know who you might need to talk to in this outfit to get your own poke in the eye, but I can tell you it is a term often used in the Southeast United States which loosely translated means, if left with not other choice it might be better than nothing.

Cliff

I agree with you Cliff, I didn't care for the wing either. But my dislike of the wing was more along asthetic reasons than concerns that it may not be WWI vintage. I would be intersted to know if I missed something else about this wing that was dubious.

P

I agree with you Cliff, I didn't care for the wing either. But my dislike of the wing was more along asthetic reasons than concerns that it may not be WWI vintage. I would be intersted to know if I missed something else about this wing that was dubious.

P

Patrick,

There are three red flags waving that can be seen on the back of the badge which really stick out.

Take a look at the hardware (findings) for the pin and locking device.

(1) Similar style U-shape safety catches still exist today but the one on that wing is oversized and the section that pivots to secure the pin does not exactly resemble the ones I seen which were made around WW1.

(2) The unusually large or thick pin appears to be oversized too.

(3) Finally the large size hinge the pin is attached to. Its shape is unlike any I've ever seen before, at least any that might have been made in this country.

Cliff

post-4542-0-00792500-1432926165.jpg

• 1 month later...
cattaraugus

I was looking over at the other post about fake wings, and I saw an example of this WW1 wing that I have that seemed to be in question. any further thoughts on this one?

post-4406-0-87331900-1436317897.jpg

post-4406-0-55801900-1436317913.jpg

These seem to have dried up lately, but these re-strikes were fairly common about 10 years ago. I lost track of them, but there was a company that dealt mostly in re-strike, old-west sheriff badges and watch fobs that also had somehow obtained the original die for this badge and was manufacturing these re-strikes.

Perhaps the die broke, or perhaps they sold the die to someone who didn't want to further muddy the water with re-strikes? Maybe they just went out of business and the die is in storage, or thrown away? At any rate, real versions of this badge have a distinctly-shaped, real-gold US and proper WW1 era findings. They are often also curved like an archer's bow.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I just bought a small USN lot that contained 3 wings. My first wings, so I don't know much about them yet. The lot was cheap enough that I took a chance and the other items in the lot are definitely WWII vintage (some nice USN rank insignia and 2 old discharge pins)

First wing is a 2.75" Aviator - marked STER+1/20 10K on back along with Hamburger Hilborne hallmark

These worry me because they are so shiny and such good condition.

post-13304-0-24030000-1445690674.jpg

post-13304-0-59399900-1445690690.jpg

post-13304-0-76483100-1445690704.jpg