IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Thanks Brian,

I got 'em at an incredibly cheap price. Don't have them in hand yet but will post some better pics when I do.

Thanks Again,

Tom

I saw that auction and didn't bid ;)

Congrats they're a nice one.

Now get an example from every maker!

The quest continues.... :)

It's fun to look for wings.

-Brian

Thanks for the confirmation on the hallmark B17 Guy...Didn't find that resource but, found several others before bidding with second thoughts always, on what you HOPE is a genuine wing.

Thanks Brian for not bidding that's how I got it so cheap.

I really thought that I was gonna have to pay $110- $130 to own this wing and apparently caught people in the Holiday spirit.

Thank the Lord for Spirits,

Tom

I didn't start collecting Wings until 2-3 yrs. ago, when I happened upon one with a lot I had bought of insignia and patches.

I liked the look of it and I started looking into them. Found out about how many different types there were and the eras

that they came from ( I thank everyone here for that) and expanded my collection from Insignia to WINGS!!

Insignia looks good on the wall but, Wings look better.

Thanks All,

Tom

Patchcollector

Thanks Brian,

I got 'em at an incredibly cheap price. Don't have them in hand yet but will post some better pics when I do.

Thanks Again,

Tom

Congrats on your Fox Wing!I too saw that auction,was going to go back later and bid,and got distracted.The Fox Wings are not rare,but not common either.The ones I've seen are all clutchback,and not marked Sterling.I've seen them go for 50-75,mostly.I think that you got a good deal on yours.

Thank You for the kind remarks Patchcollector and Thank You Brian for the FYI. But as you well know Brian, something is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.

I didn't have one in the collection...so sometimes common sense is overridden by desire.

I'm sure you can understand my point being a collector also.

Thanks All of You,

Tom

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

I've been looking for one of these and this one is available so I'm asking for opinions on whether or not this is a "good" one.

Thanks for any help.

post-13386-0-98195000-1423794006.jpg

To elaborate a bit. This pattern wing is very similar to the NS Meyer restrikes (and in fact I think this is a NS Meyer restrike). In general, there are a few things that seem to be correlated to the NS Meyr restrikes, one of them being a large font "STERLING" mark. Originals tend to have a smaller font "STERLING" mark. Also, it is my impression that the NS Meyer pin was thicker in the original wings (and the pin seems a bit puny in this example) and I while I can't tell for sure, I suspect that the pin also opens up fully (as opposed to the 80-90 degrees of an original)--another sign of a restrike.

A few years ago, I noticed that you starting seeing NS Meyer restrikes with out the NS Meyer shield. My gut tells me that this was yet a new generation of wings being produced to fool collectors.

All that being said, the TO wings are rather rare and only seem to have been made by a relatively few companies (NS Meyer being one). As with all things related to NS Meyer, there will always be doubts, so you kind of have to decide on your own comfort levels. It is true that originals TO wings were made in this pattern and are seen with and without the NS Meyer hallmark. For me, this falls below my comfort line, but I could always be wrong.

Patrick

I agree 100% with Patrick on his analysis. Here's what I consider to be a good Meyer TO wing. The differences are subtle but important. TO wings, like balloon wings, should be approached with a healthy dose of skepticism as the real ones are much less prevalent than the fakes. But the good ones are out there. Keep searching.

Here's the link to the one I consider good: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/technicalobserver/meyerto.shtml

to me the one patchcollector posted (in addition to the points you guys are making) seems to have a forced patina, either brushed on or chemically created.

Bob, the one on the link you posted looks great.

-Brian

Patchcollector

Thanks again guys.I was'nt sure about the Wing as it had no makers name making it more difficult to research.Ah well,back to the hunt!

• 4 weeks later...

1918 style Military Aviator (MA) pilot wings in Sterling - 2" wide

Possibly made for display since the pin is not of the period and may have been added later.

post-4542-0-97759400-1426230910.jpg

WWI Dallas Style Pilot Wings - Possible Fantasy Pin - 3 5/8" Wide

Possibly a fantasy piece made by a jeweler and issued post war.

post-4542-0-43940200-1426258551.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
coldsteel61

Thoughts on this wing???

Don't know about ephemera but, card is quite coarse paper.

Unmarked wing.

What do you guys think???

Thanks, Tom

post-105743-0-91205800-1427241918.jpg

coldsteel61

Thoughts on this wing???

Don't know about ephemera but, card is quite coarse paper.

Unmarked wing.

What do you guys think???

Thanks, Tom

Obverse...

post-105743-0-33284200-1427242064.jpg

coldsteel61

Costa & Brobs,

Thanks for the comments. The pics are very deceiving but, without the flash it looks almost gold so, I posted the flash pics.

I currently have this item in hand and I assure you that it is not a thin souvenir wing. It has some weight to it (need to buy a scale) I would

estimate an ounce or more. Not bendable with the fingers (Thanks Patrick!!) and with a 40x loupe I can clearly see the striations of the die strike.

Don't know if my little camera will get that close but, I will try to get some better pics. Also the wing thickness apart from the striking of the face

and upper & lower wing structures is 3/16" from approx. catch to pin pivot out.

The card may not be worth the paper it's printed on ( capitalization in the middle of a sentence? ) but, looking at it in hand I am finding more

Pro"s than Con"s. I would like to think it is a full on wing...but metallurgy will tell the tale this weekend.

Thanks for the replies,

Tom