IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Patchcollector

Just received this message from the seller after I had sent him the link to this thread:

"Thanks for the education, When I bought these I had no reference books on military collectables. I am glad that you caught this before the transaction.
After what you have told me I check a few others that I have a found they are copies too.A good thing is that I did not pay a lot for them. I am going to post what I have left with the description for what you have provided for me."

Thanks again everyone! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello guys I purchased these Glider Wings on Ebay a few days ago and I just received them today. I am pretty sure they are repo Warez style wings but I thought I would post them for opinions before sending them back. I am not very versed on WWII wings and I will admit I sort of leaped on these before taking a close look at the photos. I am needing a set for a Glider Pilot uniform that I purchased were the wings are missing. I want a real set to display not a repo set.

Thanks

Devin

post-59872-0-00943500-1416879486.jpg

back edges look "puffy" and details on obverse seem soft.

I would vote repro. I think I saw this whole set being sold on ebay and every one looked repro IMO.

-Brian

back edges look "puffy" and details on obverse seem soft.

I would vote repro. I think I saw this whole set being sold on ebay and every one looked repro IMO.

-Brian

Thanks Brian, This one was sold by itself but I think it is still a repo. I just looked at with a loop and there is some type of black flakes that at falling off. Maybe from being aged. I am no expert but these just dont feel right. I paid 140.00 with shipping so I think it will go back for a full refund!

Here is the Glider wing with the only Warez type wings that I own that I know are good. I can really see the difference now. Like you said Brian the edges in the back of the Glider wing are puffy and also there are pits that I don't see on the other two.

Devin

post-59872-0-03441500-1416882020.jpg

Yup also note the smaller size due to shrinkage from casting.

What I meant by the seller having a group was that he had other auctions with repop wings in the Juarez style.

Get that money back!

-Brian

• 1 month later...

Saw this "Luxemberg Wing" on E-Bay. I think it is fake as hell.

Take a good look at the left wing on. Distorted feathers.

would you buy this??

post-105743-0-92824300-1419810332.jpg

doinworkinvans

Question about Service Pilot badge....sorry for the bad front picture, but if you look at the back (pic1) of badge in question....do you see the line or 'edge" running along the top of the wing? Also, do you see the "scratches" on each wing tip where the pin and catch is? Those are the 2 things that bother me and would love some input. They are ORBER hallmark. Picture 3 is from the ww2 wings website and I dont see either "questionable" item on the back of that wing. Thanks for the help.

Daniel

service2.jpg

doinworkinvans

...this wing is the one from ww2 wings that I am using as a guide

it could be the way its laying in this picutre that i cant see the "edge" running along the top like the one in question

service3.jpg

doinworkinvans

I have always thought that Orber hallmark was fake.

and that the real hallmark is more round, not an arch.

am I off base with that?

-Brian

bob has it on his site from the "doug root" collection...that one (as pictured above) has the round arch orber

so i am assuming it wouldnt be on his site if that were incorrect

either way i asking to learn and hopefully find a good wing for a good price

Actually I need to remove those from my site. I'm not comfortable with the arched Orber hallmark. Unless I get some confirmation that they're good I need to do a purge of those from my site. Thanks for pointing those out. As you can imagine it's a little challenging to remember everything that's out there.

doinworkinvans

Actually I need to remove those from my site. I'm not comfortable with the arched Orber hallmark. Unless I get some confirmation that they're good I need to do a purge of those from my site. Thanks for pointing those out. As you can imagine it's a little challenging to remember everything that's out there.

guess that answers that - thanks bob!

Bob thanks for confirming my thoughts on that arched Orber mark. Glad to hear it and glad I have passed up any and all wings with that mark. Lots seem to turn up on eBay constantly so that reinforces the fake mark theory in my eyes.

-Brian

Hello All,

Hoping all of you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you the best in the New Year to come.

Has anyone noticed these?? Researched the hallmark and it looks O.K. but always have second thoughts

so I figured I would throw it out here for opinions as to authenticity.post-105743-0-83284700-1420069658.jpgpost-105743-0-98178200-1420069695.jpgpost-105743-0-79894800-1420069736.jpg

I have a set just like them. Fox wings WW2 to Korea era. Considered "WW2". Looks to be the proper flat faced clutches as well.

So yes, good.

-Brian

Thanks Brian for your input, I do appreciate it. Now let's see if I can own them at a decent price!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!

Tom

Thanks Brian,

I got 'em at an incredibly cheap price. Don't have them in hand yet but will post some better pics when I do.

Thanks Again,

Tom