IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Patchcollector

Wow,except for the condition differences,it does look alot like the example on the WW2 Wings site,even down to the "U" in the "U.S" (Maybe that's a "tell"?)

Thanks for all the help guys

I think the final price was actually pretty good for this piece (relatively speaking). I suspect that the catch turned some people off. The last one I saw on ebay went for well over $2K.

doinworkinvans

What do you guys think about this ATC wing....fantasy piece? I do believe it to be period at least, but wanted to hear some other opinions! THanks

Daniel

786485809_o.jpg

786485789_o.jpg

786485820_o.jpg

It sure looks like it has been an ATC wing all it's life.Ive never seen one before so I wouldn't buy it without some very positive input from the more experienced collectors. Mike

doinworkinvans

THanks Mike! Yea, it looks like its been this way forever. I just know its not an "official" ATC wing. Just wanted some others thoughts B)

I think what you meant to say is a Ferry Command wings as the ATC wings are a different style: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaafatc.shtml

What this wings is trying to be is an early Ferry Command wing: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaafwasp.shtml

This isn't the official pattern but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a period piece. However I have seen people take the fairly common DI that is the center piece and affix them to a period wing such as what is shown. When that happened is always the tricky part. These kind of wings make me a bit nervous as I don't know if someone did that in 1943 or in 2013. The early Ferry Command wings are pretty scarce and also highly faked. So what I would say you have here is a period Gemsco wing and a period Ferry Command DI and when they got together is anyone's guess.

I am not familiar with that Gemsco hallmark.. (that doesn't mean a thing, really).. but the reverse of the whole thing and wings on the obverse look like a Gemsco ww2 period strike.

Note the small boxes that show where the pin or clutches are to be attached... and the "scallops" on the top shoulder of the wings with very full lower feathers under the center piece.

-Brian

For what it is worth, the "DI" on the front of these wings is NOT a common WWII era DI. The DI was actually a bit larger and did not have the raised squares on the upper left quadrant of the shield. I believe that this is a good sign that this isn't your standard faked wing.

Allan

Everyone's definition of "common" is different so I guess I should have phrased that more carefully. I define "common" as something I see at a majority of the militaria shows I go to. I agree that the standard DI variation with the enameled border is much more prevalent than this style but I have seen these as well and fairly often. I don't know every manufacturer of the original style wings but the Robbins pattern is the most frequently seen (and most heavily faked as well). That wing also has the initials "A. C. F. C." for Air Corps Ferry Command on the wing which is not present on this wing. Like the early WASP wings where there were custom made variations this could easily be a period variation as I fully agree that both the center piece and wing are period pieces. All I'm saying is that I've never seen Gemsco make an approved Ferrying Command wing and, in my humble opinion, there is no way to know when the center piece and wing came together. Am I saying it's bad, certainly not, I'm just saying that these types of wings always warrant further investigation before jumping in. I will refrain from using "common" in the future to avoid misinterpretation.

doinworkinvans

Sorry for the confusion, i certainly know that this is not one of those ferry command wings! Those are way out of my league!!! WHat stuck me on this one was the stike looked good and the raised squares looked unique as well. Its certainly different and for sure not just a DI that someone applied. Appears to be a unique piece! Thanks for the comments fellas!

Daniel

Just to be the devils advocate, I like it myself. I wouldn't toss crazy money at it, but nothing gives me terrible heart burn about the way it looks. But without provenance, its just a put together wing.

P

doinworkinvans

Bob,

Next time you come across one of those DI's like what is on the wing, please let me know. I'd be happy to buy one or more of them.

Allan

I agree - Never seen an ATC DI like this for sale, or ever. Would love to add one.

post-137056-0-42976000-1411571953.jpg

post-137056-0-79698900-1411571943.jpg

Came across these wings on eBay. It has the three-finned bomb and target that is very similar to Cliff's Navajo. The craftsmanship is not as fine or well executed. Is this another Cliff's Navajo or a reproduction? Comments please.

Came across these wings on eBay. It has the three-finned bomb and target that is very similar to Cliff's Navajo. The craftsmanship is not as fine or well executed. Is this another Cliff's Navajo or a reproduction? Comments please.

Russ Wilson once mentioned a few cast copies were made a few years ago which were smaller than the original ones that have turned up so far. Yes, the one for sale on eBay today is also shorter but by all appearances it may actually be good because the bomb was made separately. But why is the wing shorter? It may have been made (1) very early before the craftsman had refined the design or (2) it was made just before he stopped producing them?

My met would be number #1.

Cliff

post-4542-0-11911100-1411581083.jpg