IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Nice Amico wing... A period wing in my opinion. I suggest you do a search for Amico in this sub forum. You are going to find a wealth of information which I am sure you will of interest.

Additionally I strongly suggest you review all the pinned threads to get a good start on your research.

BTW welcome to hobby!

Cheers

RescueGunner13

Thanks fellas I appreciate your time! I'm really happy with my first purchases in this hobby. As an aerial gunner in today's Air Force I am humbled at the origin of my career field and to all those that have served before me regardless of their MOS/Rate/AFSC. While I do plan on buying non-gunner wings for now I think I will try to get an assortment of different manufacturers gunner wings. So that I don't get to far off track from this sections intent maybe someone can PM me a list of their known manufacturers that produced WW2 era aerial gunner wings (or their opinion of the best ones!). Thanks a bunch.

-Dave

You will get lots of opinions on the best... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Some will be expensive and some will be common... it really depends.

Again just search for the specific wing and you will find many examples. LGB, Bell, Lux, unknown makers...

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

not too bad though they look like they may have been cleaned at some point.

I usually don't pay more than 50 for a wing.. though I'm a bargain basement shopper :)

I have a set of AMCRAFT's just like them (but with more patina) that I paid $45 for.

I would say $67 is pretty average.. a "normal" price.

Wing prices seem to be in a downward trend.. not sure why.

-Brian

I should add..

I didn't see you were in the UK. In that case $67 USD is a great price for them... usually UK prices are much higher.

I doubt you find many $50 and under wings over there.

-Brian

Finding good examples of original wings over here is rare and the price does reflect that.

I'd buy a few more but shipping varies so much between sellers.

• 3 weeks later...

Need help on this Navy Aviator - but i only had one Picture.

Its currently listet on an Auction Website.

It has a pinback - but i cant tell from this bad picture its WW2 / Korea / Vietnam or a modern Piece...

maybe someone has a clue.

post-54820-0-84296300-1392282162.jpg

I got now a Mail from the seller - he told me on the back were a mark that reads: oec14bI :wacko:

OEC = Officer's Equipment Company (maybe???)

Cant find anything...

Yeah thanks BROBS. I got the mail after i wrote the post - :D

That pinback always confused me - i still do not think that this is still used today :wacko:

But once i buyed a Submarine Badge with pinback (no photos of the back in this auction) and it was modern to - but i wont make that mistake again B)

Yeah thanks BROBS. I got the mail after i wrote the post - :D

That pinback always confused me - i still do not think that this is still used today :wacko:

But once i buyed a Submarine Badge with pinback (no photos of the back in this auction) and it was modern to - but i wont make that mistake again B)

Yes, depending on manufacturer pinback was used up until recently.. and on some things may still be used.

Best way to tell is the construction and markings..

if there is a number with a letter, this is a later requirement by the military.

WW2 stuff will not be marked like this (1B for Balfour etc.).

Also, I think sometimes people will remove the clutches, and solder on a pinback to make the item seem old.

-Brian

Yes i know and thats the problem. Some people just making a blurry picture of the front and then its hard to tell how old the wing is.

In such cases its always a shot in the dark - maybe you got a cheap ww2 wing or an expensive newer one :D

Thanks for your thoughts.

The marks on the shield are discolouration rather than damage. The pins are short and I'm pretty sure the whole badge is right.

I just checked it closely against the picture on the link supplied and also against the 'FOX' pics in More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens and found it to be pretty much exact to each.

and...............I just clinched the deal for a great price !

All the best

Tony

doinworkinvans

A.C.F.C. ATC wing - I am going to put this here for reference as the current thread will be burried soon>

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64860-wasp-wing-find/page-2

And another -

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202015-ebay-warningacfc-pilot-wing-reproduction/

Quick picture for reference...

Good on top - restrike on bottom

post-7548-0-20050000-1392745545.jpg

post-7548-0-29668700-1392702487.jpg

I'm brand new to wings/metal insignia, but these caught my eye. I didn't recognize the top set, but from what I've gathered they're USAF navigator wings. Do the gunner wings look Air Corps/WWII vintage? Any glaring issues? I'll attach pictures of the hallmark. Thanks for any input!

post-151646-0-09805600-1393036531.jpg

post-151646-0-19695500-1393036545.jpg

post-151646-0-99016400-1393036560.jpg

post-151646-0-44921400-1393036571.jpg

Yes, the top one is a post-WW2 US Air Force Navigator badge. The gunners badges look to be WW2 era. Looks like the catch on the Amcraft pattern wing (the bottom one) has been replaced but the wings are good. These are all fairly common wings so don't spend a fortune on them. You'll see them come around again.