John Cooper

Is this wing good? Post you advice requests here!

If this wing is a full 3-1/4" wide I would say good as well, a nice WWII vintage Walter Lampl wing.

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

That’s why I ask you all these things.  I would’ve never figured out that the wings were Juarez wings.  That’s pretty cool.

5thwingmarty mentioned something about Walter Lampl.  I’m going look into that right now because that’s something I’ve never heard of.

Thanks for the info you guys!

...much appreciated!

Walter Lampl was the actual company that made/sold this pattern of wing.  You can occasionally find them with the Walter Lampl WL hallmark.  These wings are often referred to as Juarez wings as there was a story that the wings were made in Juarez, Mexico.  

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

From what I can gather, the 'coin silver' Juarez wings were made south of the border.  I do wonder however about the wing design.  Who came up with it first, the Mexican silversmiths or Walter Lampl?  It's a sharp looking wing design.  Nice weight, lots of feathering.

I just received some crew wings to go along with the pilot wings.  The A.E. hallmark is a bit different than what I'm able to find references for.  Should I be concerned or is it possibly an early design?  The aging seems to be quite legit under a loupe.  Here's a picture.

What do you think?

Pic 1.jpg

Thanks again for the info!  I’m happy with the wings that I’ve found and any concerns have been put to rest.  

bschwartz, your website is extensive.  You have really put some time and effort into it.  What a fantastic resource for information.  I will certainly be visiting the site again soon.

I really like these gunner bullion wings, however I am curious about the tan cloth between the blue combat backing and the wings??

Screenshot_20200505-090335_eBay.jpg.7dace14a4edf92cf0d6b467fc2f487fa.jpg

Looking for anything related to WWII ETO gliders and pilots, uniforms, photos, etc. I am also looking for 8th AF B-17 crew uniforms and gear.

The tan was usually sewn to the tan summer uniforms. Looks better against the blue than a gabardine one.  BTY the "combat blue " back is most commonly found on 9th AAF and some 8th.

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

Just a small quibble, it seems that only some of the squadrons of the 8th AAF authorized the combat blue backing (and there seems to be some evidence that some of the 9th AAF squadrons may have worn them as well).  Although I don't recall ever seeing a period photo of a 9th AAF guy with the combat blue backing under his wings.  Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist, I just don't recall seeing them.  The blue backing with the gold border was apparently used by the crew of the lead aircraft in the squadron. 

When making bullion (or silk thread versions) wings, the wire was sewn onto a backing material.  Sometimes the backing material was a blue melton type fabric, sometimes a gaberdine or khaki material.  The backing material would then be trimmed (or not) and sewn to the uniform. 

I can say that I think the bullion wings are vintage WWII (although they strike me as being American made), while I don't know that I am totally convinced that the lead aircraft combat backing in vintage to the wings.  This is what I like to call a "force multiplier" when talking about WWII uniforms.  A relatively cheap and easy thing to make and add to a uniform that can significantly increase its value.

But its hard to know for sure in this case.

Patrick,

You've articulated what I was thinking when I first saw this wing. I would say that the bullion is US made and obviously was cut down from the tan background material. These were made for the tan blouse. They would NEVER stand up to laundering on a shirt. The "lead crew: backing gives me a lot of heartburn. It doesn't look like the real ones that I have handled over the decades. I love your "Force Multiplier" term. If it ever fit in militaria collecting, it does so here.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

BTY - the blue backgrounds are always "iffy"  I was just pointing out that if you see one on say, a 7th Ike its probably bad - I was just answering why the tan..

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

How about these paratrooper wings and patch? The wings were pinned to the patch when I got them. Pretty confident the wings are WWII-era, but would like other opinions. Any idea what the number represents that is scratched into the back of the wings? Looks like P5428.  542nd? laundry number?  other ideas? There is just enough space between the 2 and the 8 to make me wonder. Is the patch from WWII?

Thanks, 

Jeffresized_11th.jpg.722ff8eab548ad7a06c4235f6f324622.jpgresized_11thback.jpg.e0f9258e31632295cc6f065dde58acbf.jpg

Both your 11th A/B patch and your jump wing are WWII vintage. The number scratched into the back is probably the trooper's laundry number- First initial of last name and the last four of his service number.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Not sure if it's WW2 or post war. The catch was repaired and inverted. Inset "Sterling" can be seen at the bottom right on the reverse. 

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG