IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

I understand. A mod has requested we drop it here. I was trying to politely move the thread back to the topic. I think we all understand your issue and don't all necessarily disagree.

Dave

rathbonemuseum.com

I ask again, please drop this line of complaint on this thread as it is no longer relevant or informative to the thread. This is a second warning. Feel free to go take your issue here and get it out of this content section.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1574-buyers-sellers-report-section/

No one reason but due to the long thread could we maybe lock this thread and start a, "Is this wing good? Post you advice requests here! - part 2!" ?

Picked these up about a month ago, I don’t think they are original I think they are one of the reunion wings, but what do you guys think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

That pattern up in the shoulder area appears quite a bit different than the others shown by Josten as is the location of the hallmark. Aren't the pins of post war construction?

Just some questions from an observer.

Dave

5thwingmarty

To quote Patrick's response to an earlier post in this thread:

"Buyer beware.  There are some other threads about the STER LGB and the wide pin placement on these wings that were probably made for collectors in the 90-2000s."

These have been discussed many times on the forum.  

Beat me with my own old post!  LOL. 

Yes, walk carefully around these.

BTW, I am not a good enough person with the intenet, but this is what that LGB glider pilot wing SHOULD look like (not endorsing any particular auction).  Hopefully someone can capture the images, because once the auction is gone, the pictures are lost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284194684027?hash=item422b52bc7b:g:~5AAAOSwsxxgJubi

Note the STERLING and LGB mark (including size, font and placement) and the positions of the pin.

Years ago, I was told that a number of collectors/dealers started approaching various companies (including LGB, Blankinton and NS Meyer) to see if they could get new wing badges generated for collectors. If you have the second edition of Charles Fitzsimmon's book, he apparently showed a number of LGB and Blackinton-made restrikes as originals.  He then apparently sold them via old ASMIC Trading post offerings... I know, I bought a couple of those off of him before I wised up.

Yeah, I'm suspicious of any lettered wing and remember a few pages back now. Add G to the TO and balloon wings marked LGB STER.

Of course they bid up an obvious restrike glider wing last week to $150 or so when the seller listed had also two other restrikes all closing about the same time. Just seeing multiple wings from the same seller with the identical make and patina should be the first curiosity.

5thwingmarty

I like that the real one Patrick shared a link to is less expensive than the restrike, and the restrike is within a dollar of the other genuine one on ebay right now.  Maybe someone with a genuine one can send photos to Bob to add to his website.

4 hours ago, 5thwingmarty said:

I like that the real one Patrick shared a link to is less expensive than the restrike, and the restrike is within a dollar of the other genuine one on ebay right now.  Maybe someone with a genuine one can send photos to Bob to add to his website.

I've got a Balfour marked version out there (Balfour marked Glider Pilot) but I'd be happy if someone would like to send me photos of an LGB marked example as well.

5thwingmarty

I looked right past that one on Bob's site.  In comparing, the Balfour marked wing has fine lines that run all the way across the shield, while the LGB marked wings have wider spaced lines that do not extend across the shield.

i have this one it's a 2''inch WW2 fight surgeon wings looks similar to a blackington wing it's sterling but most of the letters are finned out

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

12 hours ago, dmar836 said:

So, just so I am learning properly, the pin holes in this wing are from casting, no?

Dave

s-l16002.jpg

that could be peck marks, what i look closely at is the outer edge for die shearing if its smooth along the edge then there's a problem, and look for informalities on the reverse side and if it's a cast it will be most likely under measurement 

Thanks. I struggle as I tend to be a pessimist but it looks kind of blunt in the details anyway. It has that kind of double strike in the top of the S but the overall thing looks strange as does the back with that dark grey paint look. Pass. You look at something on eBay and next thing you know the seller is trying to hook you. It's a weird thing for sure.

Dave

I am not sure I would include these in the "fake" box, as much as they belong in the "not vintage to WWII" sack.  These look like the type of souvenir wings produced for sale as collectible items at swap meets, airshows, hobby and model airplane shops, museum gift stores, rodeos, and Army-Navy surplus stores (to name a few).  Made out of a thin pot metal, they are typically stamped with cheap clutch back pins and usually painted with a blackish lacquer finish. For example, you can pick these up at the National Air and Space Museum gift shop.  You can buy them for wear on a hat or jacket.  I see them on ebay all the time and frequently at the flea markets.

My thought is that they were never intended to be sold as vintage wings, but can sometimes eventually migrate into the view of novice collectors.  Like I said, they aren't really intended to fool anyone like a cast reproduction, but like "HeWhoShallNotBeNamed" museum quality reproductions, they can sometimes show up being hawked by the less scrupulous dealers.

Thanks. Since I haven't been observing the restamp, repro, and downright fake movements of wings, I have to learn one at a time. Appreciate you all tolerating my "simple" questions.

Dave

With a grouping. What's the consensus with the pattern, pin opening, etc.? I assume the stamp on the right is just "sterling" from the low res pic unless someone else recognizes the pattern.

Dave

DSCN4663.JPG

DSCN4673.JPG

6 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

With a grouping. What's the consensus with the pattern, pin opening, etc.? I assume the stamp on the right is just "sterling" from the low res pic unless someone else recognizes the pattern.

Dave

DSCN4663.JPG

DSCN4673.JPG

i have seen this pattern style and it's legit 

Thanks Don. I leave them on uniforms rather than putting them in the wing box so I guess  one without hallmark would be best for that.

Other's opinions? Is there any value to the wing?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

It’s N S Meyers pattern. And based on the pin it’s likely a restrike. But no real way to know for sure without better pictures