IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

5thwingmarty

Here are a couple of photos of my wing in this pattern.  It appears to have the same Sterling mark but lacks any maker's mark.  I also have this blank that I picked up somewhere for this pattern of base wing.  It is the only one of this base wing that I have seen that has impressed shoulders and a slightly raised edge all the way around on the back edge.  I had also forgotten that these wings actually have four concentric raised rings.

gunner back.jpg

gunner blank.jpg

gunner blank front.jpg

Ebay grouping. Gemsco with brass pivot. Didn't someone say something about when they soldered the pin catch and pivot to areas other than in the boxes?

The inscription is always suspect but... Opinions on the wings?

quetelsteraafgliderpilotfrtlg.jpg

s-l500.jpg

What are the thoughts about this Glider? I don't think its a Juarez variant as the pattern in the bend of the wing is incorrect.  I know some Juarez patterns were copied by artisans in India but the findings are different.  Is it a possible cast wing with filing to the edges? 

20210421_163304.jpg

20210421_163344.jpg

I shoulda bought the Amico it was a cheap BIN. Now there's a bid so the auction goes on. My bad for saying anything.

Tesla, I think I saw that one. Bad casting look to it but I wondered the same. Either that or it went through the Dispose-All.  These are the ones that got me. That's some lousy QC if it's authentic.

3.jpg

s-l16004.jpg

5thwingmarty

My guess is a cast copy of a Lampl/Juarez wing that someone did some additional work to.  It looks like the Lampl berry-esque shoulder feathers were ground out to make longer feathers, and the horizontal lines in the top of the shield re-scribed to have fewer but bigger lines.  I have no clue as to when or where it was made.

19 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Assuming a post war wing but what is the mark under sterling?

Dave

dsd (2).jpg

this would be G P  for general products fairly common pre-nam to nam issue, the one here i'm showing i have is in my collection. but i have no idea what i payed for it?

001.JPG

002.JPG

I may be incorrect but I think it may be Charles Polk marked wing (not GP).  But like it was said above, a rare'ish maker of late WWII to more modern insignia. This badge is pretty new and Charles Polk used a number of hallmarks.

Still, I could be incorrect, but that is my sense. So take it with a grain of salt.

5thwingmarty

I wish someone could find something definitive that showed whose mark this is.  My inclination is that the overlapping letters are GP and this is a General Products mark.  The style of the wing does not match the wings with the full Charles Polk mark, but I have wondered if Charles Polk actually made any wings or if they were like Luxenberg and just had wings made by someone else.  The same dies were used by Vanguard to make many of their wings.

5 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

This one caught my eye. Listed by a pawn shop in NYC. No markings. Pin looks interesting. I’m not a player on it, but would like to hear y'all's thoughts. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313504729550

9F2986AD-86A1-463E-8E9B-BCF0EEA0095B.png

B208919C-F11B-4E16-81A4-C39F25548C2E.png

AD7AA3B7-9284-46F6-A439-3069A527AB6E.png

3F27EC95-2B06-4B35-8CAC-582FF574715D.png

looks to be highly buffed up probably what took out the locking ring, but i never had seen a hinge like this one thats interesting. it could be but i'm not certain a private firm made this.

If I had to guess, I would say Panamanian-made wing.  Mike (MGHCAL) has done a great deal of research on these types of wings.  Remember, there were other theater of operations other than the ETO, MTO and CBI.  But...

Although there is a twin to this wing posted on Bob's great site that is indicated as being a CBI wing

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/pilot/ktaafpilot.shtml

All in all, it is a well polished example of a (probably--based on what I can see) a VERY nice wing.  If it were me... and the price was south of about 100$, I would beat feet to that pawn shop!!!

Thanks for posting.

.... bnd then bury it in the garden for a year or two so it will start to look like a wing again! 😁

I thought it might be a casting that was buffed to the point the lack of shear marks was obscured. 

100% good CBI, most likely Chinese judging by the findings.

I have one like it in my collection, with some minor detail differences, which is to be expected given the all the finish details are done by hand.
Obviously it has been polished, but that only shows what a beauty it really is.

John

In WWII, wings were often made in theater by various manufacturers for sale to US servicemen.

These were made in, to name a few...Australia, England, various countries in Africa and CBI (China-Burma-India) theater’s of operation.

Does that help?

I agree with Russ on the catch.  That's why I listed it as CBI on my site.  That unique catch is something I've seen on known Chinese made wings.  It's a very unique configuration.  But I understand why Panama pops in your head, Patrick, as the hatching pattern in the shield is very similar to that of the known Panamanian style pilot wing.  Either way it's an attractive wing but I would prefer it with a little patina on it other than that highly polished look.  But that's somewhat of a holy war among collectors, to polish your wings or not.

USMarineCorps

What are your thoughts on these NS Meyer wings? They appear to be 40's pieces because of the logos. Neither wing is marked as being "sterling". From what I understand, these NS Meyer wings are a minefield due to restrikes. Having gone through several threads, it appears that most of these restrikes were covered with some sort of black "lacquer" on the back. I also looked on ww2wings, but could not find a comparable example for either set. Thank you for your help!

s-l1600-24.jpg

s-l1600-25.jpg