IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

4 hours ago, pfrost said:

To quibble just a little bit, the NS Meyer may actually be a casting rather than a restrike.

Is has a “melted” look to the back (cast??).

It’s still not good, right?

32 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

I’m starting to realize that these are like potato chips...... betcha can’t have just one. 

Its a good thing you realize it now while you are starting off. lol

I think its happened to all of us on here. I started off with one Navy wing.

It got so bad that 75 + wings later I decided to switch to helmets because you cant store them so easily. lol

WRONG......

Ya got that? I went to helmets to wean myself off of wings. Lately Im back to wings to wean myself off of helmets.

Its a disease. Run while you still can !!!!!

But its prob a better hobby thank drinking.... 🙄😁

TheCrustyBosun

Rooster,

This is the first item I’ve found myself wanting multiples of an item in 25 years of collecting. Not a bad streak. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?  Funny you should also mention helmets. I could easily see myself collecting multiple flight helmets, but I won’t. Although, I wouldn’t mind a modified A-9 with mask snaps, leather cups, and receivers.  Some day maybe. 

3 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Rooster,

This is the first item I’ve found myself wanting multiples of an item in 25 years of collecting. Not a bad streak. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?  Funny you should also mention helmets. I could easily see myself collecting multiple flight helmets, but I won’t. Although, I wouldn’t mind a modified A-9 with mask snaps, leather cups, and receivers.  Some day maybe. 

Randy,

In all of the years that i have been collecting, there have been very few times when I have seen this stuff go backwards in value. One big area that went to pot was the collectors who collected Warsaw Pact before the wall came down. East German VoPo helmets went from $400 a pop to $15 overnight. If you truly want a nice, A-9 with all of the bells and whistles, the time to buy is when you find it available. Sure, you may pay what you think is a high price, but a few years down the road, you'll be bragging about how little you paid when comparing to the prices in 25 years. When I bought my first 501st PIR pocket patch, I paid $400 for it. All of my collecting buddies told me I was a complete idiot to pay that kind of money. That was a month's rent and two car payments for me, but I wanted it. Today, you'll be lucky to find one for under $2,000 when you can find one for sale.

Good luck in your addiction.

Allan

The rare and high quality stuff tends to keep its value, but I have watched the prices for many of the more "common" wings drop like stones.  Ebay sometimes surprises me with the prices (like the recent WWI G. Haltom wing that sold for high retail (IMHO)).

Ironically, if you happen to find any of the old Trading Posts or Russ Huff's Wing Dings publications from the mid-80's/mid-90's, you will find that even back then, the prices for some WWI wings was in the 1000-1500 price range.  All in all, not much different than now! So a Dallas wing bought in 1991 for 1000$ is likely to retail today at around that same range (+/- a few hundred $$$).  Not a great investment.

I also recall a very rare wing from Duncan Campbell's collection being sold for +3000$ or so.  I kind of watched it work its way around various collections, ebay auctions, etc.  Last time I saw that wing it ended up being sold for just about 3000$.  Its price never really increased.  So you never know.  On the other hand, you do see things going off for crazy dollars.

P

• 3 weeks later...