IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Thanks guys. There is another cast Luxenberg Pilot wing up for sale on eBay. It looks even worse than this one that i posted the pics of and it has a bid on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent estate sale pickup. I think it is good, but what do you think? Pin opens up to about 80 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Al

It has all the good signs. The full name of the company the shield and sterling all raised not stamped and it has the right pin with the extra metal overhang at the hinge.

Good one.

It has all the good signs. The full name of the company the shield and sterling all raised not stamped and it has the right pin with the extra metal overhang at the hinge.

Good one.

Thank you rooster77.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

The Glider Pilot wing appears to be a restrike because the back has been polished down to remove the black finish thats on the restrikes. First clue.

The edges are also rounded off. Its got the wrong pin no cam at the end. Prob opens 180 degrees. Real ones with the cam only open 45 - 80 degrees.

Its thinner than an authentic one. Restrikes are slightly thinner. The Sterling font is jacked up small fonts to large. Odd.

You can see the remnants of the black finish where it was difficult to remove.

Scroll up to post #604 and look at a real Meyer ww2 wing.

Sparkly back finish cam at the end of pin. etc etc. There were many variations of Meyer wings hallmarks during ww2. But this Glider wing has all the tells of

a restrike that was altered to appear as an authentic WW2 Wing.

Study the good one in Post #604. The tells on that wing are what you look for.

When you see stuff on the back like the Glider wing..... walk away.

WWIIinterviews

The Glider Pilot wing appears to be a restrike because the back has been polished down to remove the black finish thats on the restrikes. First clue.

The edges are also rounded off. Its got the wrong pin no cam at the end. Prob opens 180 degrees. Real ones with the cam only open 45 - 80 degrees.

Its thinner than an authentic one. Restrikes are slightly thinner. The Sterling font is jacked up small fonts to large. Odd.

You can see the remnants of the black finish where it was difficult to remove.

Scroll up to post #604 and look at a real Meyer ww2 wing.

Sparkly back finish cam at the end of pin. etc etc. There were many variations of Meyer wings hallmarks during ww2. But this Glider wing has all the tells of

a restrike that was altered to appear as an authentic WW2 Wing.

Study the good one in Post #604. The tells on that wing are what you look for.

When you see stuff on the back like the Glider wing..... walk away.

Thank you guys for your feedback.

Rooster77, thank you for the detailed information on what to look for when buying a pair of wings. I thought they may have been a restrike but, the makers mark was throwing me off. I didn't realize the other things to look for when looking over a set of wings. Good advice, thanks again!

Hey John,

The site kept saying the pic was too big, even though it was 147k.

I'll try it again this evening. Right now it's lunchtime.

Like your avatar and motto. Is that a B-25 your in?

Not the best pics, but I would steer clear. Looks post WWII to me.

Yes, in the avitar I’m flying the B-25 Wild Cargo.

You can see it at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA.

John