IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

close up:

It looks like a stamping and the hallmark isn't crooked like you see on some of the copies. I would say it is an original wing. There is one for sale on eBay right now paired with a US made sterling glider trooper wing with a BIN at $149.00 with free shipping. I would say that your JR Gaunt glider trooper wing would probably sell for around $75.00 on the low end and around $150.00 on the high end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-glider-pilot-wings-2/223348911046?hash=item3400a1ebc6:g:ebMAAOSwJvVcRRtv:rk:3:pf:0

• 4 weeks later...

What an amazing website! This is my first post and Id like to say that its really great to find so much WWII artifact knowledge and history in one location. Ive been going from website to website scrounging for info and not being quite as successful as Id like to be...and then BAMM, I found this one stop shop. What luck... ?

Anyways, after careful review and internet sleuthing, I recently pulled the trigger and bought a set of wings I found on everyones favorite auction site. I would certainly appreciate some comments and opinions on what Ive got here. There isnt a hallmark and only Sterling is present. They look old, but who am I to say...Im just a newbie. ?

post-219355-0-94626200-1551313253_thumb.jpeg

post-219355-0-84374000-1551313325_thumb.jpeg

Just curious, would a graduation wing be solid on the back and not have some sort of hallmark? Maybe there were several different variations of the grad wing. Something to ponder about for sure.

Its too bad there isnt a back-story to go along with the wings. Im going to be presenting these wings to my son when he solos for his rotorwing private pilot license. He will probably wear them once or twice and then place them in a covered display case Im making for him out of an old tail rotor blade.

Just curious, would a graduation wing be solid on the back and not have some sort of hallmark?

As far as I know hallmarks are purely British and never used on US silver.

Also, as far as I know, American silver has Sterling if it exceeds a certain purity and is otherwise unmarked

As far as I know hallmarks are purely British and never used on US silver.

Also, as far as I know, American silver has Sterling if it exceeds a certain purity and is otherwise unmarked

Old Geezer,

You are correct that British silversmiths belonged to trade Guilds or "Halls" who would certify the purity of their wares and "hallmark" them...

In common US parlance; "hallmark" is essentially synonymous with; "maker's mark." Confusing the matter further, some early US silver makers adopted marks that purposely mimicked British style hallmarks--likely because British makers were considered more a bit more posh.

Sterling is a US mark of silver fineness equal to the European standard of 925. Three other less common standards used in the US Are Coin Silver at 900, Fine silver at 999 and German silver at 800. Other grades of silver are rarely seen in the US.

Although laws required content marks on all commercially traded silver, prior to and during WW2, US silver makers would frequently not mark items for silver content or fineness if the items were for government use.

post-594-0-49432800-1551479924_thumb.jpg

Robbins Co. "hallmarks" on WW1 RMA badge

My apology for the excessive delay in replying to my query in post #538 on 22 December 2018 - 11:52 AM. I seem to have stepped on the medical equivalent of a landmine and been prioritizing treatment and/or repair.

These wings were part of a JPAC operation. JPAC is a thoroughly discredited organization which was disbanded in January 2015 following a string of questionable activities including falsifying evidence and corruption. A quick search of US press websites and the Stars and Stripes website will provide you ample evidence on this matter.

Before reading my attached reply I would suggest you start with http://www.stripes.com/jpac-admits-to-phony-ceremonies-honoring-returning-remains-1.246322#.WMOd8fJgGUk .

In order to simplify the reply, and ensure all pictures are in the correct location, without taking the many hours it would take me at present to try and correctly compose this reply on line, I have created the PDF which is attached as several pages because I cannot get the pdf down to under 251K.

Wings reply p1.pdf

This is not the place to get into a debate about JPAC, an organization dedicated to returning the remains of fallen US serviceman, which had no equivalent anywhere else in the world.

The wings posted in post #538 on December 21st, 2018 at 8:52 PM received several logical and reasonable responses that are factual and correct (they appear to be early WW2 issue and in poor condition judging by the one low resolution photo provided with no photo of the rear). Any other assumptions or conclusions about being worn in the cockpit, their base metal content (no one stated they were sterling silver), or their subsequent discovery are outside the realm of the scope of this thread which is "Is this wing good?".

• 1 month later...

How about this Glider Badge? I know almost nothing about Glider Badges but would like to add a WWII badge to my collection. I this badge OK? if so is it WWII or Post War?

post-84402-0-46230400-1556079328_thumb.jpg

Your glider badge is just fine- a nice, WWII example. The glider badge ceased to be awarded shortly after WWII ended, so it is actually uncommon to find a glider badge that isn't WWII vintage. Your example appears to have been cleaned at some time.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, can I get some advice on this jump wing, is it a period WWII example? Im looking for a simple jump wing with a nice finish to put on a 504th oval. I'm terrible with these and I want to check before buying. Thanks!

post-163178-0-27128000-1557109757_thumb.jpg